Position Title: Manager, Event & Health Communications
Reports to:: Sr. Director, Health Communications and Director, Events Communications
Assist in providing media and public relations support for the BIO International Convention, business development conferences and organization’s Health Section. Leverage events to support baseline media tactics to advance agendas and promote all of BIO’s sections. Serve as initial contact and lead coordinator for potential media partnerships (e.g., advertorials, sponsorship opportunities, barters, etc.). Serve as the primary deputy to the Senior Director of Communications for Health.
1. Help implement and supervise press registration for events. Review and assist in approving registrations.
2. Develop media plans and timelines and help track activities for events and Health Section.
3. Draft press releases and other press materials in support of events and Health communications.
4. Develop online content focusing on media at events and write event wrap-up coverage for blogs and online properties.
5. Develop online content for Health Section.
6. Identify target media outlets and create media lists for individual events.
7. Pitch media to cover and attend events.
8. Assist companies in taking advantage of media opportunities at events.
9. Assist in developing story angles for events and Health Section.
10. Provide crisis communications support if necessary.
11. Track media coverage and create event evaluation reports.
12. Provide onsite support to reporters at events.
13. Assist in overseeing consultants surrounding event communications.
14. Assist Vice President, Communication in identifying and securing non-traditional earned media or barter opportunities (e.g., special sections in print publications, content sharing opportunities with online properties). Assist in developing ancillary materials and promoting relevant opportunities to BIO members.
• Excellent communications skills, including writing and speaking skills
• Excellent research skills, including problem-solving ability and attentiveness to detail
• Team player
• Familiarity with the Microsoft computing environment (for example, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Explorer)
• Familiarity with standard office machines
• Bachelor of Arts in communications or related field; or 5-7 years of work experience.
• Must have 5 years experience in strategic communications and media relations
• Experience in media relations for events preferable but not required