Department: Federal Government Relations
Reports to: Senior Director, Federal Government Relations
Primary Purpose of the Position:
This position will help manage BIO’s federal government relations lobbying and research efforts related to biopharmaceutical issues including Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement, the FDA drug approval process, and implementation of health care reform.
• Monitoring, analyzing and summarizing legislation related to biopharmaceutical products.
• Researching emerging issues and coordinate with BIO policy staff to support BIO policy development.
• Drafting advocacy documents and legislative summaries for use with various internal and external audiences and stakeholders.
• Developing and maintaining relationships with key Members of Congress and Senators’ staff as well as with the government relations staff to other trade associations, allies and member companies.
• Lobby hill staff as required.
• Coordinating with government relations staff across other trade associations, member companies and other allies as required.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to provide quick, simple analyses and explanations of technical policies to hill staff, allies and member companies.
• Experience writing in numerous formats including presentations and advocacy documents.
• Excellent research (i.e. literature and secondary research) and analytical skills.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and prioritize tasks, manage projects and meet deadlines with little supervision.
• Excellent computer, organization and conflict management skills required.
Education and Experience Required: minimum B.A./B.S. Master’s preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree required with a graduate degree in relevant field (e.g. MPA, MPH, MPP, MBA, JD) strongly preferred. Individuals with hill experience and health policy backgrounds required.
• Must have experience with biopharmaceutical issues, with 2-3 years strongly preferred.
• Strong knowledge of the legislative process and Congress.