Washington, D.C. (Sept. 16, 2013) – The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) today announced the 3rd annual BIO® Convention in China, a sister event to the BIO International Convention that will bring together executives from biotechnology, pharmaceutical companies and investment firms from North America, Europe and Asia to meet and explore business opportunities in China, now the 2nd largest biopharmaceutical market in the world. The event will take place November 11-13, 2013 at the China National Convention Center in Beijing, China.
China has designated the biotechnology industry as one of seven pillar industries in its 12th Five Year Plan. Now in its 4th year, the Chinese government is dramatically expanding its resources for innovative biopharma research and development. This focus has been reflected in a dramatic expansion of Chinese companies in-licensing of Western-originated projects, with the number of in-licensing projects this year already exceeding the number of in-licenses, joint ventures (JVs) and mergers and acquisitions (M&A) last year.
“As China becomes a major force in the pharmaceutical market, the number of Chinese and Western collaborations has increased exponentially,” said Alan Eisenberg, Executive Vice President, Emerging Companies & Business Development at BIO. “As we prepare for the third BIO® Convention in China, we are more excited than ever about the opportunities that exist in China and are eager to provide the biotech industry with a platform to engage this quickly expanding biopharmaceutical market.”
Preliminary program topics for the 3rd annual BIO® Convention in China include science-focused sessions such as vaccines as well as the research and development of orphan drugs to treat rare diseases in China, and business-focused sessions exploring China’s private health care industry, early-stage VC funding in China, and partnering models between Chinese and Western companies.
The 2013 BIO® Convention in China will also feature one-on-one dialogues with biopharma industry executives who will discuss recent company successes, what keeps company executives up at night, and where the industry’s leading companies are headed in 2014. Industry executives currently scheduled to participate in the candid question-and-answer style sessions include three global leads for Merck Serono: Bernhard Kirschbaum, Ph.D, Executive Vice President and Head of Global Research and Early Development; Susan Herbert, Head of Global Business Development & Strategy; and Annalisa Jenkins, Executive Vice President and Head of Global Development and Medical. Additional one-on-one dialogues will be held with Yan Xijun, Chairman of the board of Tianjin Tasly Group, Wang Xiadong, Director and Investigator, NIBS, and Yinxiang Wang, President, CEO & CSO, Zhejiang Beta Pharma.
BIO and the BIO China Advisory Committee set the event agenda and program. Advisory Committee members include:
· Jun Bao, Ph.D., MBA, Senior VP & Chief Business Officer, Shenogen Group
· Xue Bin, Deputy Director, CCPIE
· Lian Yong (Leon) Chen, Founder & Managing Partner, Frontline BioVentures
· Li Chen, President & CEO, Hua Medicine, China
· Shaoyu Chen, Ph.D., Partner, Covington & Burling LLP
· Joseph Cho, Managing Director, RDPAC
· Samantha Du, Managing Director, Sequoia Capital
· May-Kin Ho, Ph.D., Advisory Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co.
· Kewen Jin, Managing Director, Nimbus Innoworks
· James Li, Vice President & General Manager, Greater China, Amgen China
· Bo Liu, Ph.D., Principal, Venture Investments Johnson & Johnson Development Corporation
· John Oyler, CEO BeiGene
· Yinxiang Wang, PhD, CEO & Chief Scientific Officer, Zhejiang Beta Pharma
· Asish K. Xavier, Vice President, Venture Investments, Johnson & Johnson Development Corporation
· Jerry Xiao, Vice General Manager, Corporate Technology Center, Fosun Pharma
· Steve Yang, Vice President, Head of R&D, Asia and Emerging Markets, AstraZeneca, China
· Jimmy Zhang, Ph.D., MBA, Managing Director, MSD Early Investments Greater China, Merck & Co, Inc.
· Xun Zhu, MD, Professor, Department of Immunology, Jilin University
BIO brings to China more than 15 years of experience in organizing international conferences for the biotech industry, including the BIO International Convention – the global event for biotechnology. BIO is renowned for its successful business development, partnering and investor meetings in North America, Europe and Asia.
In addition to distinguished speakers, exemplary programming and compelling company presentations, the BIO® Convention in China also offers attendees the opportunity to initiate business contacts through BIO’s proprietary One-on-One Partnering™ system. The web-based, interactive software system opened to registered attendees on August 19th and will allow registrants to arrange meetings between investors, companies and industry business development, licensing and therapeutic franchise heads.
For more information on the BIO® Convention in China, please visit here.
Upcoming BIO Events
BIO Investor Forum
October 8-9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
BIO IPCC Conference
November 6-8, 2013
BIO Convention in China
November 11-13, 2013
Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology & Bioenergy
December 8-11, 2013
San Diego, CA
BIO CEO & Investor Conference
February 10 – 11, 2014
New York, NY
BIO Asia International Conference
April 8-9, 2014
BIO International Convention
June 23-26, 2014
San Diego, CA