Washington, D.C. (April 23, 2014) – The 2014 BIO International Convention® will include six timely and dynamic Super Sessions featuring prominent biotech thought leaders. This year’s sessions will cover issues from the state of the biotech industry to transforming the world of healthcare. The Convention, hosted by the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO), is the global event for biotechnology – and will take place June 23-26, 2014 at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California.
“As biotechnology continues to evolve, so too do the fascinating and relevant topics we choose to feature in the program,” said Scott Whitaker, President of the BIO International Convention. “The Super Sessions at BIO 2014 will provide attendees with world leading, expert perspectives on the state of the global biotech industry as well as a look ahead to the future, including the hottest therapeutic areas and the latest drug development and treatment models.”
2014 Super Sessions include:
A New Paradigm in Oncology Treatment
Panelists will discuss the dramatic scientific innovation taking place and a vision for new paradigms in oncology through continued scientific investigation, use of new technologies and innovative collaborations.
Sponsored by: MedImmune
Tuesday, June 24, 10:00 – 11:30 AM
• Moderator: Susan Schaeffer, Editor, BioCentury, The Bernstein Report on BioBusiness
• Speakers: Jeff Allen, Executive Director, Friends of Cancer Research; Ronald A. DePinho, MD, President, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center; Robert Hugin, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Celgene Corporation, Bahija Jallal, PhD, Executive Vice President, AstraZeneca, Head, MedImmune; and Peter Lebowitz, Global Therapeutic Area Head of Oncology, Jansen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
Burrill State-of-the-Industry Report
G. Steven Burrill will deliver remarks from his annual report, Biotech 2014: Transforming Healthcare. The report will define what innovation in 2014 is all about and how companies will need to think differently about the way they create and capture value in the transforming world of healthcare.
Sponsored by: Burrill Media
Tuesday, June 24, 2:00 – 3:30 PM
• Speaker: G. Steven Burrill, Chief Executive Officer, Burrill Media
EY 2014 Biotechnology Industry Report
EY’s 2014 report will explore approaches that allow companies to conduct R&D in ways that are both more capital-efficient and better aligned with the need to demonstrate value.
Sponsored by: EY
Wednesday, June 25, 10:00 – 11:30 AM
• Moderators: Glen Giovannetti, Global Life Sciences Sector Leader, EY and Kristin Pothier, Partner/Principal, Commercial Advisory Services, EY
• Speaker: Rachel King, Chief Executive Officer, GlycoMimetics, Inc.
AMP-lifying Innovation: NIH, Patient Organizations & Leading Biopharma Firms Mobilize to Tackle Tough Diseases
The Accelerating Medicines Partnerships (AMP) is a new venture among the NIH, several non-profit organizations and 10 biopharmaceutical companies focused on transforming the current model for developing new treatments. The Session will highlight the goals and implementation plans for the new AMP program as well as explore the evolution of large-scale public private partnerships in an evolving innovation ecosystem.
Sponsored by: Eli Lilly and Company
Wednesday, June 25, 2:00 – 3:30 PM
• Speakers: Francis Collins, MD, PhD Director, National Institutes of Health and Jan Lundberg, PhD, Executive Vice President, Science and Technology and President, Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company
The Next Big Deal: The Global Deal-maker Perspective
Campbell Alliance and BIO will present updated findings from two unique forward-looking measures of deal-making in the industry – the Campbell Alliance Dealmakers’ Intentions Study and the BIO One-on-One Partnering Forecast. Panelists will explore the impact of these market forces on pharmaceutical and biotech companies as they positions themselves to make the next big deal.
Sponsored by: Campbell Alliance
Thursday, June 26, 10:00 – 11:30 AM
• Moderators: Sougato Das, Director, Partnering Products & Services, BIO and Neel Patel, Director, Corporate Development, Campbell Alliance
• Speakers: Richard Brudnick, Vice President, Co-Head Business Development/M & A, Biogen Idec and Ken Drazan, Head, California Innovation Centers at Johnson & Johnson
Scientific American WorldView Super Session – Biotech: We are the World
Moderated by David Brancaccio, host of Marketplace Morning Report, this event will explore key themes form Scientific American’s annual biotechnology edition, featuring the WorldView Scorecard and fresh perspectives on international life science development.
Thursday, June 26, 2:00 – 3:30 PM
• Moderator: David Brancaccio, Host, American Public Media’s Marketplace Morning Report
• Speaker: The Honorable Cevdet Yilmaz, Minister of Development, Republic of Turkey
For detailed descriptions and a full program, please visit convention.bio.org.
Advance media registration is available for qualified reporters working full time for print, broadcast and web publications with valid press credentials. To register, please visit here.
Upcoming BIO Events
World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology
May 12-15, 2014
BIO International Convention
June 23-26, 2014
San Diego, CA
BIO Latin America Conference
September 9-11, 2014
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Livestock Biotech Summit
September 16-18, 2014
Sioux Falls, SD