WASHINGTON, D.C. (Wednesday, September 15, 2010) - The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) today announces the Plenary and Business Roundtable program for the 9th Annual BIO Investor Forum – an international meeting focused on investment trends and opportunities in the life-sciences with a focus on public and venture-stage growth companies. Hosted by BIO, the event will take place at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco, Calif. on October 5-6.
“Our plenary sessions will offer a unique opportunity to look at the financial and strategic business issues affecting life science investment decisions and opportunities in 2011 and beyond,” said Alan Eisenberg, executive vice president for Emerging Companies and Business Development at BIO. “Additionally, the experts slated to participate in our Business Roundtables will provide the latest insights into the financing opportunities uniquely suited to the biopharmaceutical industry.”
Opening Plenary Session - A Look Back at 2010: BIO’s State of the Industry Report & The Art of Deal-Making
Tuesday, October 5, 12:00pm, Grand Ballroom
Join BIO and other industry leaders in a lively interactive discussion on deal-making 2010.
BIO’s State of the Industry Report
- Alan F. Eisenberg, Executive Vice President, Emerging Companies & Business Development, BIO
- John Craighead, Ph.D., Managing Director, Investor Relations & Business Development, BIO
- David Thomas, Director, Industry Research & Analysis, BIO
The Art of Deal-Making
- Ernst & Young LLP (moderator)
- George Golumbeski, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Business Development Celgene Corporation
- Jeff Jonker, Chief Business Officer, Satori Pharmaceuticals (former Vice President of Business Development and Strategic Planning for Gloucester Pharmaceuticals)
- David Parrot, Managing Director, Healthcare Group, BMO Capital Markets
- Martin Vogelbaum, Partner, Rho Ventures
Closing Plenary Session - Forecasting 2011: Clear skies, Dark skies, or Just Leave it to the Magic 8-ball?
Wednesday, October 6, 4:00pm, Twin Peaks North/South
Seasoned buy-side investors will convene for a lively discussion to forecast the year to come.
- George Milstein, Managing Director, Life Sciences Mergers & Acquisitions, Wedbush PacGrow Life Sciences (moderator)
- Jim Healy, M.D., Ph.D., General Partner, Sofinnova Ventures
- Matthew Perry, Managing Director, Biotechnology Value Fund
- Jonathan S. Leff, Managing Director, Warburg Pincus
Business Roundtables include:
Capitalizing on Strategic Innovation
Tuesday, October 5, 9:00am, Twin Peaks South
This panel will be devoted to helping small, emerging companies focused on R&D in the life sciences plan their patenting strategies around grooming themselves for IP transactions.
- Andrew Merickel, Ph.D., Partner, Knobbe Martens (moderator)
- Cameron Gray, Ph.D., J.D., Senior Vice President, ICAP ocean tomo
- Jennifer Johnson, Chief IP Counsel at ZymoGenetics, Inc.
- Will Mongan, J.D., Executive Director, U.S. Business Development (USBD), AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
- Morris Berrie, Ph.D., Co-ChairmanGlobal Tech Transfer Summit Initiative, TTS Ltd, U.K.
Venture Capital & Private Equity Models: 10 Years to Life?
Tuesday, October 5, 3:00pm, Twin Peaks South
Thought leaders spurring the growth of venture capital and private equity investment in biotech will convene to share their perspective on what’s to come of the VC/PE model.
- Corey S. Goodman, Ph.D., Managing Director and Co-Founder, venBio, LLC (moderator)
- Gaurav Aggarwal, M.D., Managing Director, Panorama Capital
- Roel Bulthius, Head of Merck Serono Ventures, Merck Serono SA
- Chris Fugelsang, PhD, Tavistock Life Sciences
Start-Up Capital Efficiency: Back to the Basics
Wednesday, October 6, 10:30am, Twin Peaks South
Early stage investors and executives from companies who have managed to stretch their dollars as far as they can go will provide their insight on strategies for start-up and emerging biotechs to remain capital efficient.
- Ronald W. Lennox, D.Phil., Parnter, CHL Medical Partners (moderator)
- Brian R. Dixon, PhD, President and Chief Executive Officer, BioRelix, Inc.
- Shelly Mui-Lipnik, Director, Capital Formation & Financial Services Policy, Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Deepa Pakianathan, Ph.D., Managing Director, Delphi Ventures
- Andrew J. Schwab, Founder & Managing Partner, 5AM Ventures
Alternative Financing: Got Cash? Building the Balance Sheet Through Innovative Financing Options
Wednesday, October 6, 3:00pm, Twin Peaks South
Providers and recipients of alternative financing will share their perspectives on the role that these strategic alternatives play in supporting growth during challenging financial times and as increasingly common approaches to funding innovation and commercial opportunities.
- Jon McGarity, Executive Vice President, Campbell Alliance (moderator)
- Brian M. Culley, MA, MBA, Chief Executive Officer, AdventRx Pharmaceuticals
- Michael A. Margolis, R.Ph., Managing Director, Healthcare Investment Banking, ROTH Capital Partners, LLC
- Evan Myrianthopoulos, Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, Soligenix, Inc.
- Matthew Wotiz, Senior Associate, Paul Capital
The BIO Investor Forum will feature more than 140 private and emerging company presentations, including the new Discovery Track designed specifically for early-stage private company presentations. In addition to business roundtables, the program will include therapeutic workshops led by clinicians, analysts, and company officers, highlighting topics such as, the state of HIV, Epigenetics, Hematology, Orphan Drugs, and Next Generation Biologics.
To learn more about the BIO Investor Forum, including registration and up-to-date program information, please visit http://www.bio.org/investorforum. Advance media registration is now available online; registration is complimentary for credentialed members of the media.
BIO is pleased to recognize the leadership provided by the BIO Investor Forum sponsors, including Lead Bank Sponsor Wedbush PacGrow Life Sciences and Supporting Bank Sponsors BMO Capital Markets, Rodman & Renshaw LLC, and Roth.
About the 9th Annual BIO Investor Forum
The BIO Investor Forum is an international investor conference featuring private and emerging public companies. The meeting attracts healthcare venture capital and public market investors and research analysts. In addition, the BIO Investor Forum draws business development executives from global pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
Upcoming BIO Events
September 21 - 22, 2010
BIO’s Livestock Biotechnology Summit
September 28-30, 2010,
Sioux Falls, SD
BIO Investor Forum
October 5-6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
BIO Intellectual Property Counsels Committee Fall Conference and Committee Meeting
October 18-20, 2010
Advanced Business Development Course
November 12-14, 2010
BIO-Europe International Partnering Conference
November 15-17, 2010
Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy
December 11-14, 2010
BIO represents more than 1,100 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIO produces BIOtech Now, an online portal and monthly newsletter chronicling “innovations transforming our world.” Subscribe to BIOtech Now.