WASHINGTON, D.C. (Wednesday, August 11, 2010) - The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) is pleased to announce additional speakers and sessions for its Livestock Biotech Summit, the first national industry conference on genetically engineered (GE) animal technologies.
Scheduled for September 28-30, in Sioux Falls, S.D., this first-ever Summit of its kind will provide participants three days of cross-cutting discussions among industry, academic and government leaders, including:
· Care and Use of Livestock in Biomedical and Agricultural Research:
Kicking off the Summit, these sessions feature a lineup of outstanding presenters who are experts in each field of the care and use of animals in research. These world-class researchers are each co-authors of the Federation of Animal Science Societies’ Ag Guide for animal research.
These presentations will cover important considerations when performing research with agricultural animals, as well as sessions for individual species. Do not miss this first-time ever presentation of the 2010 revised Ag Guide by those that wrote it!
· Funding Research and Development:
A specially convened panel of diverse speakers will inform Summit participants about aspects of funding research and development. We will have presenters from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the South Dakota Governor’s Office of Economic Development, and a private venture capital firm. Come learn about the opportunities to fund research and development in the animal agriculture sectors.
· Bioethics and Livestock Research:
Recently added to the Livestock Biotech Summit program is a special section on the bioethical discussions involved in livestock research. Wednesday morning’s thought-provoking session will set the stage for a lively day of case study discussions about care of individual animal species and the regulatory system for genetically engineered animals.
· Hear First-Hand from Leading Experts on Animal Agriculture:
In addition to lively panel discussions, attendees will hear from prominent speakers such as
- Dr. Reg Gomes, Vice President Emeritus of the University of California;
- Bruce Knight, Strategic Conservation Solutions and former Under Secretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs at the U.S. Department of Agriculture;
- Dr. John McGlone, Texas Tech University;
- Jim Greenwood, BIO President and CEO;
- Dr. Larisa Rudenko, U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Complete Program Information is now available on the Livestock Biotech Summit website.
South Dakota Bio Pre-Event:
In addition to the programming at the BIO Livestock Biotech Summit, the South Dakota Biotech Association will host a pre-event session on the afternoon of Monday, September 27th in Sioux Falls. More information on this can be found about it here.
Who Should Attend?
- IACUC Members
- Academic & Industrial Scientists
- Genetic Engineering Researchers
- Research Animal Suppliers
- Drugs & Vaccine Developers/Manufacturers
- Serum and Blood Producers
- Biomedical Device Producers
- Animal Disease Model Developers
- Xenotranplantation Specialists
ARPAS (American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists) members will earn 19 CEU’s for attendance at the Livestock Biotech Summit!
Registration and Housing:
Registration is now open and attendees can register online at www.bio.org/livestockbiotechsummit.
Reserve your hotel room early and take advantage of the group discount rate of $89 per night. Availability is limited, so act fast.
All programs at the Livestock Biotech Summit are open to attendance by members of the media.* Complimentary media registration is available to editors and reporters working full time for print, broadcast or web publications with valid press credentials. Valid press credentials include:
· Official photo identification from employing news agency
· A by-lined story from employing news agency dated within the last six months
· A publication masthead listing you as an editorial contributor. Freelance journalists may also apply for complimentary media registration, but must present:
- A signed letter on company letterhead from your assignment editor confirming your assignment to cover the event
- A by-lined story dated within the last six months
*Web-based, college, and freelance reporters are strongly encouraged to register in advance. Please note that marketing executives, sales representatives, public relations executives, analysts, consultants, authors and researchers may not register as media.
BIO Acknowledges the Support Provided by the Livestock Biotech Summit Sponsors
South Dakota Governor's Office of Economic Development
Trans Ova Genetics
South Dakota State University
Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Animal Care - USDA
University of Illinois
South Dakota Biotech Association
Additional information on multi-level sponsorship opportunities and program details can also be found here.
Click HERE to visit our BIOtech Now site and listen to our recent Podcast about the Livestock Biotech Summit!
Upcoming BIO Events
September 21 - 22, 2010
BIO’s Livestock Biotechnology Summit
September 28-30, 2010,
Sioux Falls, SD
BIO Investor Forum
October 5-6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
BIO Intellectual Property Counsels Committee Fall Conference and Committee Meeting
October 18-20, 2010
Advanced Business Development Course
November 12-14, 2010
BIO-Europe International Partnering Conference
November 15-17, 2010
Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy
December 11-14, 2010
BIO represents more than 1,200 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIO produces BIOtech Now, an online portal and monthly newsletter chronicling “innovations transforming our world.” Subscribe to BIOtech Now.