Position Title: Director of Communications & Executive Writer
Reports to: Vice President, Communications
Serve as a senior level speechwriter and for BIO President & CEO and Chairman. Develop Congressional testimony, op-eds, magazine/journal articles and online content. create strategy and tactical approaches for message development, scheduling, audience and placement.
• Write and edit speeches, statements, talking points and presentations for BIO President & CEO and Chairman. Craft preparatory memos for BIO President & CEO regarding speaking opportunities with details on audience, purpose of speech and key message to be delivered.
• Develop and edit testimony for BIO President & CEO or Board members testifying on BIO’s behalf, letters to the editor, op-ed pieces, online content and other advocacy pieces as required.
• Ability to deliver materials to executives on identified and specific timelines/deadlines.
• Identify appropriate venues and timing for BIO President & CEO to make key speeches and policy statements.
• Work with executive schedulers to ensure all event details are included in final materials.Ability to understand industry and articulate/create convincing arguments.
• Help develop BIO’s message and talking points on various issues across the organization. Create strategy to push messages through speeches, public appearances, online properties, written opinion pieces or other media.
• Assist BIO Vice Presidents with speech preparation and editing.
• Work with BIO staff to develop familiarity with appropriate databases that provide information about biotech products and business information.
• Work closely with BIO policy and advocacy departments to stay current on legislative and regulatory issues.
• Proofread and edit BIO materials (as needed).
• Available for travel with executives when required.
• Qualified candidates will have extensive record of success in writing, research, and editing. Further, candidate knowledge of the legislative process and political experience considered helpful.
• Bachelor of Arts, advanced degree such as JD preferable; or equivalent years of work experience. 10+ years experience in speechwriting, policy and issue management, media relations, healthcare, and/or government.