Director, Event Operations
Position Title: Director, Event Operations
Department: Event Operations
Reports to: Vice President, Event Operations
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Director, Event Operations will have logistical oversight of events and meetings as directed by the Vice President, Event Operations. Meetings/Events will be assigned from the BIO event portfolio and will include (but not be limited to) conferences, exhibitions, summits, Board of Directors meetings, committee meetings and a specific element of the annual BIO International Convention including pre & post-convention planning meetings.
- Supervise and manage subordinate staff as structured:
- Accomplish positive outcomes by coaching and counseling employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; conducting training; and implementing and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures
- Oversee work product and provide overall guidance on projects and priorities for optimal performance and outcomes
- Manage the Sr. Manager, Event Operations to ensure management of exhibition/exhibit hall logistics and assigned conferences/meetings are well executed, cost efficient, optimally functional and visually appealing
- Manage the Assistant, Event Operation’s support of designated events and administrative tasks with a specific focus on exhibition/exhibit hall administrative needs
- Negotiate logistical contracts as necessary including (but not limited to) hotel, catering, audiovisual, transportation, telecommunications, alternative venues, printing services, etc. Provide helpful insight and ideas for improvements related to event execution and the financial success of assigned events.
- Strategic planning to include:
- Participating in the process for determining future dates and appropriate locations/venues for all assigned events
- Outlining adequate space for current programs as well as growth potential in all venues
- Maintaining industry knowledge of venues, vendors and contractors, relative to area(s) of responsibility
- Managing operational timeline for all assigned areas and events
- Accountability for budgets associated with the logistical elements of each assigned event:
- Responsible for detailed and complete budget estimates and subsequent projections as well as ensuring final expenses are at/within budget as approved by Finance
- Work with Sr. Manager, Budgets & Operations and BIO Finance & Administration staff to achieve budget reconciliation in a timely and efficient manner
- Work with the marketing team to carryout approved marketing creative, theme(s) and logos for every event. Participate in the development process to ensure the operations/logistics perspective is well thought through and incorporated in the final product.
- In coordination with the Event Education Team, ensure logistics for session rooms and other education areas are well planned pre-show and well produced onsite. This includes the management of floor plans, audio visual and all other needs necessary to facilitate the education program.
- Oversee logistics for all onsite advertisement, sponsor recognition, signage/banners and other sponsor related areas:
- Act as point person for assigned meetings to research and share new revenue generating ideas to the Sales and Sponsorship Team ensuring that proposed opportunities can be efficiently executed
- Provide the Sales and Sponsorship Department with budget estimates and floor plans/renderings upon request ensure final projects are produced as rendered and at/within budget.
- Liaise with the Sales and Sponsorship Department to review all event prospectuses to ensure proposed opportunities are viable
- Serve as a source of information and provide advice as necessary to sponsors to ensure the successful fulfillment of all sponsorships.
- Serve as a liaison and work in coordination with various vendors, hotel/venue staff, consultants and other partners as specified for each assigned event. Provide clear and detailed instructions via contract language, function sheets, banquet event orders, rooming lists, floor plan, etc. to ensure successful completion of contracted projects and/or services.
- Supervise logistical and structural elements of partnering in correlation with the Partnering Team:
- Determining quantity of booths, rooms and meeting points required for partnering
- Identifying available and appropriate space
- Managing the arrangement and numbering of booths for optimal usage; arranging appropriate and ample furnishings, signage, audio visual and other operational needs.
- Consistently evaluate each event. Take note of event functionality and flow, attendee experience, and any feedback specific to areas of responsibility. Work to implement changes to continuously improve events within the event portfolio. Make suggestions for new procedures and/or improvements for existing processes.
- Maintain accurate historical files of event data for each event. This includes, but is not limited to, reports and documentation for housing, food and beverage, room sets and all associated costs.
- Maintain positive relationships and strong communications with other BIO departments to understand their objectives and requirements for events in their respective areas.
- Implement and maintain a globally consistent standard for all Events and Conferences.
- Solid understanding and knowledge of meeting management and event coordination;
- Computer literacy with understanding of and ability to use Microsoft Office products and specific proficiency in Word and Excel
- Familiar with Personify or other association and/or relationship databases
- Experience with managing vendors and facilities as well as the contract development and execution process for both
- Comprehensive understanding of budget management, budget forecasting, and the reconciliation process specifically relative to events
- Extremely organized, with strong attention to detail;
- Excellent skills in writing and verbal communications expected
- College Degree or equivalent years of experience
- 7+ years convention, meeting, event planning experience required
- CMP or CEM Preferred
- Must be available and able to travel. Passport required.