Director, Sales & Sponsorship
Position Title: Director, Sales & Sponsorship
Department: Sales & Sponsorship
Reports to: Vice President, Sales & Sponsorship
Primary Purpose of the Position:
This primary purpose of this position is to drive revenue via the sale of sponsorships, exhibit space and other opportunities at BIO’s events. This position is responsible for managing key accounts. Key accounts include BIO Double Helix and Helix Sponsors, domestic and international pavilions, and other high dollar/value member and sponsor companies. This position will also be responsible for revenue tracking and reporting, and benefit fulfillment of assigned events. This position will supervise and mentor junior staff and direct reports in their daily sales, fulfillment, operations, data management, and customer service activity.
- Achieve sponsorship, exhibit, promotional opportunity, and advertising revenue goals for all BIO events.
- Devise, manage and execute sponsorship strategy including donor solicitation, implementation of benefits, invoicing and collection of funds.
- Serve as primary interface with senior executives at key financial institutions and major sponsoring companies including Double Helix and Helix organizations.
- Develop new corporate relationships and cultivate existing ones in order to obtain conference sponsorship goals. Identify and recruit new supporters, negotiate contracts and devise strategies for new revenue streams. Special emphasis on securing support from biopharma companies, service providers and financial institutions.
- Track, project and report revenue figures to Finance and department leadership. Create conference sponsorship budget/goals for respective meetings.
- Work closely with marketing to develop exhibit sales and sponsorship collateral, email outreach and incentives to encourage inbound leads.
- Work with the logistics team on sponsorship opportunities, sponsored deliverables, and exhibition assignments and floor plan layouts to ensure feasibility.
- Work with the registration team to ensure appropriate registration types are programmed and distributed based on sponsorship benefits.
- Supervise and mentor designated junior sponsorship and sales staff (direct reports). Coach team on successful outreach skills and negotiation tactics for conferences they respectively oversee.
- Develop and manage resources and procedures to help optimize sponsorship tracking and prospecting.
- Coordinate with various BIO departments, including Conventions & Conferences, Business Development, Finance, and Legal to develop robust programmatic, marketing, exhibiting and logistical strategies for sponsors of BIO events.
- Strong organizational, verbal, written, and project management skills
- Ability to prioritize competing and multiple projects
- Experienced communicator with senior management
- Excellent customer service skills
- Working knowledge of drug development industry and biotech community
- Working knowledge of the biotech, pharmaceutical, and investment markets
- Experience in sales and business development (pharma, device, trade show)
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Advanced Excel skills are a plus
- Capable of managing databases with financial and contact information
- Working knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- College degree or equivalent years of experience
- Advanced degree in business/healthcare a plus
- 8+ years of related work experience
- Possess experience in sponsor/sales-related position
- Work experience in biotech/healthcare industry a plus
- Willingness to travel