Position Title: Manager, Communications
Reports to: Managing Director, Agriculture & Environment Communications
Director of Communications, Agriculture & Environment
Primary Purpose of the Position: Develops, manages and executes strategic communications campaigns across all of BIO’s different sectors. A key responsibility will be developing digital communications strategies to boost the effectiveness of BIO’s online properties and web-based content. The position will help lead the development and amplification of digital content and will serve as a primary writer and editor for BIO’s growing social media properties and branding campaigns. In addition, this position also will help produce communications that support the policy and membership goals of BIO. The manager also will help support BIO’s I&E and F&A Sections in promoting the positive applications of biotechnology in the food, agriculture, industrial and environmental industry arenas.
- Coordinate the creation of online content and digital strategies to amplify BIO’s messages in the social media space;
- Research media coverage and create content for communications materials including news clips, news releases, newsletters, op-eds/letters-to-the-editor, talking points, industry data and other communication tools as required.
- Assist with planning and preparation and execute communications plans to promote conferences and events; Coordinate with BIO’s I&E and F&A Sections and Events and Marketing teams to coordinate marketing of conferences.
- Assist with member relations and BIO internal communications including providing content for member newsletters, Board memos, and other member-targeted communications;
- Develop and maintain media, stakeholder and outreach lists and disseminate communications to these audiences;
- Assist with directing media inquiries to appropriate spokespeople and conduct general media outreach; track and measure media coverage.
- Assist with member communication, coordination of meetings, conference calls and events and serve as alternative point of contact for member inquiries as needed to support BIO’s Communications Advisory Groups and other relevant member committees and working groups.
- Participate in periodic meetings with Board and policy committees, provide input to meeting materials and give reports at member meetings when necessary.
- Participate in regular communications department staff meetings, F&A and I&E Section staff meetings and BIO “all staff” meetings.
- Assist in managing related public relations firms and other consultants.
- Strong digital media and strategic communications skills.
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills.
- Must be highly driven and results oriented.
- Must be able to work within a team environment.
- 5-7 years PR or media relations experience
- Bachelor of Arts, advanced degree preferable
- Understanding of the legislative and regulatory policy processes a plus
- Understanding of advocacy for small businesses developing commercial technology
- Background in science, agriculture, environmental, and/or energy policy preferable