Manager, Federal Government Relations
Position Title: Manager
Department: Federal Government Relations
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Federal Government Relations
Primary Purpose of the Position: This position will help manage BIO’s federal government relations lobbying and research efforts related to biotechnology issues including agriculture, environmental and health care.
- Understanding of biotechnology innovation policy areas, including the biopharmaceutical, agricultural, and environmental economic sectors.
- Monitoring, analyzing, and summarizing biotechnology legislation related to the FDA, the USDA, and the EPA, including but not limited to the following issues: human and animal health, Medicare & Medicaid, biotechnology-derived plants and animals, various Farm Bill initiatives, renewable fuels, and trade.
- Demonstrated track record of team work, strong communications skills, and advocacy
- Researching emerging issues and coordinate with BIO policy staff to support BIO policy development.
- Drafting advocacy documents and legislative summaries for use with various internal and external audiences and stakeholders.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key Members of Congress and Senators’ staff as well as with the government relations staff to other trade associations, allies and member companies.
- Lobby hill staff as required.
- Coordinating with government relations staff across other trade associations, member companies and other allies as required.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to provide quick, simple analyses and explanations of technical policies to hill staff, allies and member companies.
- Experience writing in numerous formats including presentations and advocacy documents.
- Excellent research (i.e. literature and secondary research) and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and prioritize tasks, manage projects and meet deadlines with little supervision.
- Excellent computer, organization and conflict management skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a graduate degree in relevant field (e.g. MPA, MPH, MPP, MBA, JD) preferred. Individuals with hill experience required.
- Must have experience with biotechnology issues, with 2-3 years strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the legislative process and Congress.