Position Title: Manager, Membership
Department: Membership & Business Strategies
Reports to: Director, Membership
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The primary purpose of the position is to manage membership-related outreach across the organization. The individual will manage recruitment and retention activities for various BIO staff, advise on timely, personalized outreach, and develop messaging and follow-up materials as appropriate. This individual will maintain a record of correspondence in various databases.
This person will take a leadership role in developing and maintaining the association’s membership marketing materials. In addition, this employee will work with other departments to fulfill specific membership and/or marketing requests and work with the best overall interests of the organization in mind.
- Manage the membership team’s personalized recruitment and retention outreach, advise staff of any necessary follow-up, and draft thoughtful correspondence.
- Manage schedule of upcoming conferences, schedule meetings between staff and potential and existing members at these events and develop background memos for BIO staff in preparation for conversations with industry leaders.
- Manage annual current member outreach, including check-in outreach, new member packets, and engagement with member benefits, particularly committee involvement and BIO Business Solutions participation.
- Monitor industry news and trends for noteworthy developments and recommend and facilitate BIO staff outreach to prospective and existing member companies as appropriate.
- Develop and draft fresh and thoughtful outreach to industry leaders on behalf of BIO’s CEO and other senior staff.
- Lead orientation calls for new BIO members and ensure they are connected to and taking advantage of member benefits.
- Liaise between departments at BIO to stay informed on policy activities, and by doing so, suggest areas of outreach and engagement for companies, plus create issue-specific, informative materials for recruitment and retention use.
- Utilize available data resources to develop, devise, and implement new means of member communication and marketing materials that effectively convey the BIO value proposition in a clear and consistent manner.
- Manage data integration of member committee participation and explore how to strategically utilize this data to allow for more effective, targeted marketing efforts.
- Manage external vendors to create new and update existing marketing pieces.
- Utilize Marketo, BIO’s e-marketing tool, nurture campaigns, and lead scoring to identify potential members or ways to increase engagement of existing members and use available data to track reach and effectiveness of e-marketing campaigns.
- Utilize Marketo to send monthly dues renewal correspondence and send other electronic member communications as needed.
- Manage membership department expenses and budget projections, and develop monthly budget reports, including year-over-year comparisons and forecasting.
- Assist with Board Membership Committee as requested, including scheduling, outreach, and preparation of meeting materials, including PowerPoint presentations.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, strong written and oral communication skills, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Proactive, self-starter that understands the importance of creating positive, working relationships with colleagues, BIO members, and external constituents. Must exhibit a high level of professionalism dealing with senior corporate leaders.
- Confident, organized individual with ability to prioritize and manage multiple time-sensitive initiatives in a fast-paced setting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and desktop publishing applications.
- Proficiency with association management system (AMS) and customer relationship management (CRM) software. Experience with Salesforce and Marketo a plus.
- Strategic thinker that is ethical, leads by example, and is comfortable working in teams
- Knowledge of life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of related experience required
- Experience in membership, fundraising, and/or marketing required
- Work experience in life sciences industry a plus