Vice President, External Relations
Position Title: Vice President, External Relations
Department: External Relations
Reports to: Executive Vice President, Advocacy
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Vice President, External Relations is responsible for leading and developing strategy, and overseeing implementation of BIO’s state affiliate network, third-party engagement and grassroots/grasstops advocacy activities. This position will also be the Executive Director, Council of State Biotechnology Associations (CSBA).
Inspire, develop, and lead a dynamic External Relations team that strategically and proactively engages BIO’s network of state affiliates, third-party stakeholders, and grassroots/grasstops influencers on issues pertaining to the health care, agriculture, emerging companies, and industrial & environmental sections at BIO.
- Manage an external relations department that develops, analyzes and executes strategies to enhance the biotechnology community.
- Develop, maintain, and nurture relationships to represent and advance BIO’s external relations agenda before third-party groups and BIO’s state affiliates.
- As the Executive Director, CSBA, work closely with the CSBA Board of Directors to develop the strategic vision and direction of CSBA and ensure a strong partnership with BIO. Ensure that the CSBA mission and goals are represented within BIO, and coordinate with all the departments within BIO to ensure strong coordination and partnership with CSBA.
- Establish a positive, credible and influential presence for BIO with key external associations, as well as national public policy and other relevant stakeholder organizations.
- Anticipate and predict changes, and formulate appropriate grassroots and grasstops strategy, in the external legislative, and political environments in the short, mid and long term.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of and expertise across emerging issues and industry trends, ensuring engagement with relevant stakeholders. Closely coordinate with BIO’s VPs of State and Federal Relations on all strategic engagement.
- Work with BIO staff, BIO member companies, the BIO Governing Boards and their committees to develop strategic advocacy action plans and ensure that external relations strategy is integrated and coordinated with such plans.
- Coordinate with BIO’s Business Solutions Department to highlight the goals and strategies of external relations and coordinate on BIO’s business strategies with state affiliates. Coordinate with BIO’s Conventions and events teams to align on BIO’s engagement with third-party groups and affiliates for BIO’s events.
- Provide strategic direction, oversee, and ensure success for the events spearheaded by the External Relations department (Patient and Health Advocacy Summit, Fly-In, and CSBA Retreat).
- Effective leadership and strategic thinking skills.
- Expertise in third-party engagement and grassroots/grasstops advocacy.
- A strong understanding of the federal and state legislative processes, proven track record of executing successful grassroots/grasstops advocacy campaigns.
- Strong relationships with state affiliates, patient groups and other external stakeholders.
- Excellent writing, presentation and speaking skills; and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team and to build and maintain internal and external partnerships.
- Experience and successes with managing a team.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master’s degree a plus, with particular focus on political science or public policy.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, with preference for government affairs experience on Capitol Hill, with a trade association, or a biotechnology company.
- Comfortable working in and developing a team environment in the workplace.
- Experience developing successful grassroots/grasstops strategies and programs.
- Experience supporting state-level advocacy organizations.
- Experience interacting with national advocacy organizations.