Vice President, Sales and Sponsorship
Position Title: Vice President, Sales and Sponsorship
Department: Sales and Sponsorship
Reports to: President of Membership & Business Strategies
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations.
The primary purpose of this position is to manage and direct the day-to-day operations of all BIO sales and related activities. This position will devise and implement a strategy to increase sponsorship, exhibit, advertising, and promotional opportunity revenue for the organization, while meeting BIO’s organizational goals and effectively addressing tactical issues. The position will research and identify new sales growth opportunities, prospect for new donors, and develop plans to increase revenue from existing sponsors. This position will also oversee all sponsorship activities associated with all BIO conferences/events. This position will be responsible for managing all sponsorship revenue and expenses; forecast aggressive revenue projections for all BIO events, meet and exceed sponsorship revenue goals, and manage operational expenses, and a manage staff.
- Increase sales revenue for all BIO events and develop new tactics and innovative campaigns that expand the sponsor base and increase financial revenue/profit margin for the organization.
- Achieve and exceed cumulative sales revenue goal totaling over $16 million for BIO events including, but not limited to, the BIO International Convention, BIO Asia, BIO CEO & Investor, BIO Europe Spring, BIO Investor Forum, BIO Europe, Intellectual Property Counsels Committee meetings, BIO World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology.
- Aggressively identify and recruit new supporters, negotiate contracts and devise strategies for new revenue streams. Develop new corporate relationships and strengthen existing ones in order to meet/exceed conference sponsorship goals.
- Travel domestically and internationally (up to 15%) to represent BIO at meetings and in one-on-one settings. Lead effective in-person contract negotiations with senior-level executives.
- Initiate and implement a strategic system to coordinate internal BIO sales capacity through a unified CRM system (Salesforce.com). Develop and manage resources and procedures to help optimize sponsorship tracking and prospecting.
- Lead and enhance fundraising outreach, communication and negotiations with premier BIO donors, domestic and international delegation and pavilion organizers, and high-level BIO Double Helix and BIO Helix sponsors.
- Devise, manage and execute sponsorship strategies for effective donor solicitation; manage implementation of benefits, invoicing and collection of funds.
- Work with various BIO departments to improve systems and procedures for all sponsorship programs. BIO departments include Conventions & Conferences, Business Development, Legal, Finance, Health Policy, Industrial & Environmental, Food & Agriculture, and Alliance Development.
- Create conference sponsorship, advertising, exhibit, and promotional opportunity budget/goals for respective meetings.
- Manage the development a sales prospectus for each event and ensure prominent advertising on BIO web site and in other appropriate marketing materials.
- Manage and mentor staff.
- Strong sales background; preferably in the life sciences/medical field
- Proven leadership skills that inspires and motivates a small, but dedicated team
- Strong organizational, written and oral skills
- Familiarity with CRM systems
- Excellent customer service skills
- Working knowledge of drug development industry and biotech community
- Capable of managing databases with financial and contact information
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of work experience
- Master’s Degree a plus
- 8+ years of related work experience
- Work experience in biotech/healthcare industry a plus
- Willingness to travel.