Who we are: Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations.
BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
BIO also works towards enriching the industry with networking, partnering and education opportunities. We organize the BIO International Convention, the global event for biotechnology, along with many other industry-leading investor and partnering events held around the world. Arguably the industry’s leading partnering software, BIO One-on-One Partnering™ facilitates 50,000 face-to-face meetings each year among investors, biotechs, pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, and non-profits at live events.
Who you are: You are a proven Senior Human Resources leader, who is passionate about driving business success through the lens of people. You are passionate about personal growth and development, and you invest in your own team and champion the same across the entire organization. You are experienced, confident, and well versed in the areas related to Human Resources but humble enough to ask for help and input when you need it. You demonstrate extreme discretion and quickly build and maintain trust across the organization. You lead with emotional intelligence and drive yourself and others to make a significant and measurable impact.
Where you fit in: This is a new role reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, leading a small team of HR professionals providing support across all facets of the organization.
The Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO) is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of organizational management, change management, DEI/organizational culture, performance / talent management, compensation, recruiting, training and development and employee relations. The CHRO provides operational and strategic leadership by articulating HR needs, goals, and plans to the executive management team.
- Leads and grows a strong team of HR professionals with a goal of delivering high-quality, timely, and responsive customer service to support our organization. Oversees a team of 4-5 individuals and manages external resources to achieve overall HR objectives.
- Provides strategic counsel to the key corporate functions and leadership in the areas of organizational effectiveness, organization design, talent management, succession planning, employee development, executive coaching, and employee relations.
- Leads the organization’s DEI efforts and partners with operational leadership to lead the organization’s DEI strategy. This role also supports a Board Committee focused on DEI and is responsible for meeting the broader DEI objectives defined by the Committee.
- Develops and implements a diverse, equitable, and inclusive hiring process.
- Partners with the members of the executive and leadership team to execute and support organizational design, employee retention, and turnover management.
- Builds a high-performing culture of accountability, transparency, trust, and collaboration that embraces change and where all employees feel welcome, appreciated, valued, and included.
- Assesses all aspects of human resource functions - including organizational structure, culture, policies and practices and implements changes as appropriate. Develops and uses metrics and analytics to assess effectiveness.
- Prepares and administers the HR budget and annual work plan.
- Effectively utilizes technology and data to drive better decision making and bring rigor to everything from performance management to retention to achieving strategic objectives.
- Establishes an effective onboarding and offboarding process that supports new and departing employees.
- Develops and delivers a fair and equitable performance evaluation process.
- Creates a fair and competitive compensation and promotion philosophy and program to include: effective salary benchmarking, transparency, and fairness.
- Leads the timely review, follow-up, and resolution of employee concerns or grievances. Oversees employee benefits administration, tracks benefits trends and new legal developments, implement new and/or improved programs. Interacts and negotiates contracts with benefit vendors to provide a high quality benefit program. Conducts and/or facilitates cost analysis and ensures compliance with all regulations.
- Evaluates and reviews the HR policies and procedures on an annual basis and modify as appropriate.
- Ensures that the organization adheres to new and current legal requirements and government reporting regulations that impact the human resource function (e.g., OSHA, EEO, ERISA, Wage Hour) and direct the preparation and maintenance of information required for compliance and effective reporting.
- Evaluates, enhances, and/or creates systems and data analysis protocols to meet human resources needs, including SEI.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- BA/BS in HR, business administration, or related field is required and at least 15 years of related experience, including the leadership and development of human resources staff. MA/MS/MBA preferred.
- Proven experience in influencing business and functional strategies and change management through an organization and teams.
- Strong collaborative style, with the ability to flex to the needs of different business leaders
- Experience with compensation and benefits aspect of human resources with a proven success record.
- Solid communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain, shape, and evolve culture.
- Experience with ownership and administration of HCM’s such as ADP WorkforceNow is preferred
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or Certified Professional (SCHRM-CP) certification preferred.
- Experience leading the Human Resources organization for an industry association or other not-for-profit organization is preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
We offer a strong and competitive compensation and benefits package.
The position is in Washington DC with an expectation of approximately 60% of the work week being in the office and the remainder virtually.