Position Title: Coordinator, Department Administration
Department: Legal Department
Reports to: General Counsel & SVP Legal
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The primary purposes of this position are to: 1) administer or manage the Department’s budgeting, budget tracking (e.g. accruals and shadow budget) and expense reporting for every principal within the department, including the management of accounts payable invoices 2) support the Intellectual Property (IP) Board Standing Committee and the Full BIO Board, 3) administer or manage processes and other tasks to support the Legal Department and the Deputy General Counsels (DGC’s) for Healthcare and IP, 4) support improvement and automation of information flow for the Legal Department and its operations (e.g. CLE accreditation, and Tech Transfer support), 5) support or manage BIO’s functions and logistical activities relating to BIO IP Counsels Committee and Biopharmaceutical Law Committee, and 6) assist in the preparation of contracts to be processed by the Assistant General Counsel & Compliance Officer
Specifically, the Coordinator or Manager (depending on the applicant’s experience) shall perform the roles and responsibilities detailed below, in addition to any other projects that may be assigned by the General Counsel (GC) from time to time.
Budget & Administration -- Support GC in administering or managing the Department’s budget & expense controls:
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget, oversee, and track monthly expenditures and revenues of the Department’s financial performance against approved budget using Microsoft Forecaster, SQL reports, shadow budgets, and other online accounting tools.
- Review monthly financial reports from Finance and prepare reports and analyses of annual budget, as requested by the GC.
- Ensure the Legal Department’s vendor contracts are updated and processed in accordance with BIO policy, and process contractor and vendor invoices in a timely manner.
- Support and secure GC’s approval for all Legal Department expenses, travel requests, and provide accruals/estimates to the Finance Department five business days after the end of each month.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly expense tracking reports for individual staff in the Legal Department with budget responsibilities, or as requested.
- Responsible for the subscription renewals for the Legal Department and maintaining relevant passwords.
- Help prepare, collect, organize, edit, and retain materials pertaining to meetings of the Board Standing Committee on IP
- Coordinate the distribution of Board-related materials to the Board Standing Committee
- Assist Legal Department Staff with general planning, distribution, and management of Full BIO Board of Directors and BIO Section Liaisons.
Provide administrative support to the Legal Department and the DGC’s:
- Manage the DGC’s calendars, maintain updated traveler profiles, and assist as needed in arranging all aspects of DGC’s travel and completion of expense reports.
- Schedule departmental meetings and conference calls, and handle all logistical aspects relating thereto, including reserving meeting space and room set-up/clean-up.
- Prepare routine correspondence for the DGC’s.
- Maintain well-organized physical and electronic files for the GC and the Legal Department
- Serve as a Compliance Coordinator for the Legal Department and coordinate the logistics for BIO’s Annual Compliance Day.
- Serve (in coordination and cooperation with other Legal Department Staff, e.g. the Legal Department Coordinator) as primary trainer and point-of-contact for Legal Department staff on BIO’s administrative procedures and business processes by, among other things, developing and updating a fact sheet listing the roles and responsibilities of each Legal Department team member.
- Handle sensitive and highly confidential information in a professional manner, and as requested by GC.
Information flow and operational improvements for Legal Department (e.g. BIO CLE Services and Accreditation, and BIO Tech Transfer Committee):
- Assist the relevant Legal Department attorney with strategy, coordination, and implementation of BIO’s Technology Transfer Work Plan priorities
- As appropriate or needed, work with tech transfer community members, particularly the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) to develop long term priorities and engagement.
- Support the administrative functions of this and other Committees (and important Department functions) by collecting, organizing, editing, distributing, and retaining materials pertaining to meetings and conference calls
- Support, sustain and manage if appropriate, the administrative and operational needs for BIO to obtain and maintain its CLE accreditation for its events.
- Administer CLE Credits for the IP Track at the BIO International Convention, the IP Counsels Committee Meeting, the General Counsels Committee (GCC) meetings, and other BIO events
Support or Manage BIO Staff Committees (BIO Biopharmaceutical Law Committee and IP Counsels Committee):
- Support and/or manage the administrative functions of these staff Committees by collecting, organizing, editing, distributing, and retaining materials pertaining to meetings and conference calls of the IP Counsels Committee (IPCC) and Biopharmaceutical Law Committee (BLC).
- Responsible for ensuring Personify, website, and distribution lists are and remain current for Committee members, their executive assistants, and their shadows.
- Prepare meeting agendas and related e-mail communications as requested, and assist with minute taking, formatting and/or editing as requested.
- Responsible for scheduling and logistical aspects of Committee meetings and conference calls.
- As needed, provide program support and work with Event Ops, Marketing, Sponsorship, and Registration teams to develop educational content for biannual in-person IP Counsels Committee Meetings, or other committee meetings as needed
Provide assistance with contract preparation for the Assistant General Counsel & Compliance Officer
- Assist in contract document preparation in compliance with standard operating procedures, and under supervision by the Assistant General Counsel & Compliance Officer.
- Candidate must possess the ability to communicate and interact well with all departments within the organization and with BIO senior management and Board members. Candidate must be capable of representing the General Counsel and/or DGC’s in a highly professional manner. Candidate also must have the ability to multi-task, must possess excellent administrative and organizational skills, and must demonstrate impeccable attention to detail, consistent formatting, and proofreading skills.
- Candidate must possess excellent knowledge of technology systems, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, Forecaster, and various accounting software packages. Candidate also should have experience working with relational database systems including systems like Personify or Fonteva and have the ability to use technology in order to improve the use and possible development of information management systems.
- Some travel for Board and conference meetings required.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from a four-year college or university required
- If Manager, 4 or more years of experience supporting Executives and/or Boards of Directors desired
- 3 years of experience in project management, and general office and budget management desired