Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
The Coordinator of Event Finances & Operations will support the Events and Industry Programs Department with budget maintenance, contract preparation, invoicing, and other financial matters specific to the organization’s portfolio of events. This position reports to the Director of Event
Finances & Operations and collaborates cross-functionally to ensure fiscal accuracy for all BIO events. An ideal candidate is a responsive, fast learner who is self-directed, positive, and can communicate effectively and efficiently.
Supporting the Director, Event Finances and Operations with the maintenance of departmental and event budgets:
- Assisting with the annual budget development by forming timelines, organizing budget meetings, managing tasks and working with colleagues through completion.
- Aiding with the financial closure of each event and reconciling the general ledger.
- Coordinating all payments (purchase card, check, wire, etc.) for every event and general departmental expense managed by
- Events and Industry Programs to include invoice preparation, routing for approvals, payment tracking, and budget comparisons.
- Monitoring expenditures to ensure they are held within approved budget limits and identifying areas of concern.
- Preparing and maintaining reports and producing compiled data, as needed for budgeting, strategic reference, and other pre/post event analysis.
Overall coordination of the department’s contract routing process:
- Monitoring every contract routed by Event and Industry Programs staff.
- Maintaining the Vendor Benefits report based on contractual obligations.
- Following up with vendors and staff to ensure the execution of contracts.
Managing the vendor payment process:
- Preparing and tracking invoices as contractually mandated or instructed by Event and Industry Programs staff.
- Following up with vendors and staff to ensure timely payments.
Overall coordination of Sales & Sponsorship invoicing:
- Creating Fonteva sales orders and invoicing customer contacts.
- Coordinating with accounting as needed to complete forms and applications required by customers.
- Preparing weekly reports of outstanding balances to sponsorship and accounting.
• Assisting with event housing, and staff travel needs for all relevant events.
• Developing and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures relative to areas(s) of responsibilities.
• Onsite support at the International Convention and other events as necessary.
• Actively participating in solutions-oriented team meetings.
• Managing internal meeting logistics to include scheduling, room set-up, catering orders, preparing agendas, and note-taking.
• General administrative support for event finances/operations, the Events and Industry Programs Department, and other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED BACKGROUND, EDUCATION, AND SKILLS
• College degree or equivalent years of experience
• At least two years of related work experience
• Non-profit or membership organization experience is a plus.
• Computer literacy with an understanding of and ability to use Microsoft Office products with a keen focus on Microsoft Excel
• Familiar with general database applications (Fonteva or similar membership database management preferred) and basic web applications.
• Excellent customer service and written and oral communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to manage deadlines, prioritize workload, and quickly adapt to changing
• Comfortable in a team-oriented environment.
• Available to travel