Primary Purpose of the Position:
Serve as a lead speechwriter and head of executive communications for BIO President & CEO. Develop speeches, op-eds, magazine/journal articles and digital content, create strategy and tactical approaches for message development, scheduling, audience, and placement.
- Write and edit speeches, statements, talking points and presentations for BIO President & CEO. Craft preparatory memos for BIO President & CEO regarding speaking opportunities with details on audience, purpose of speech and key message to be delivered.
- Develop and edit testimony for BIO President & CEO or Board members testifying on BIO's behalf, letters to the editor, op-ed pieces, online content, and other advocacy pieces as required.
- Ability to deliver materials to executives on identified and specific timelines/deadlines.
- Identify appropriate venues and timing for BIO President & CEO to make key speeches and policy statements.
- Work with executive schedulers to ensure all event details are included in final materials
- Ability to understand the industry and articulate/create convincing arguments.
- Help develop BIO's message and talking points on various issues across the organization. Create strategy to push messages through speeches, public appearances, online properties, written opinion pieces or other media.
- Assist BIO leadership with speech preparation and editing.
- Work with BIO staff to develop familiarity with appropriate databases that provide information about biotech products and business information.
- Work closely with BIO policy and advocacy departments to stay current on legislative and regulatory issues.
- Available for travel (when travel resumes)
- Bachelor of Arts degree.
- 8+ years of related work experience in speechwriting, policy and issue management, media relations, healthcare, and/or government
- Qualified candidates will have an extensive record of success in writing, research, and editing.
- Candidate knowledge of the legislative process and political experience considered helpful.