Position Title: Director, Diversity and Inclusion
Department: Executive Office
Reports to: President, Membership & Business Operation
Primary Purpose of the Position:
BIO is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, and agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
The Director, Diversity and Inclusion, will provide leadership and drive change through the development and implementation of strategic diversity and inclusion initiatives in the biotechnology and life sciences industry and within BIO. The position will work in coordination with the BIO Workforce Development, Diversity & Inclusion (WDDI) Committee and BIO senior staff.
This position is required to provide and implement solutions to complex diversity and inclusion challenges, deliver expert advice and guidance and develop and implement strategic plans and action goals. This position is required to be proactive and keep abreast with developments in diversity and inclusion across the biotechnology sector and any changes in relevant legislation, keeping up to date with local and national initiatives. Also, this position will coordinate with BIO HR to ensure that BIO is promoting and providing a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Serve as a resource and liaison with members, partners, BIO staff and other stakeholders within BIO’s membership and biotech community to advance the BIO WDDI principles, goals and resources to make change in the industry.
- Proactively foster relationships with business leaders and BIO members to develop and implement high impact diversity and inclusion initiatives in-line with BIO’s WDDI mission, vision and core values.
- Provide support to BIO staff and the WDDI Committee Chairs in planning and executing quarterly meetings. Propose and present new ideas to WDDI Committee to accelerate progress and impact of diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Work with BIO WDDI Committee and BIO staff to develop and execute a comprehensive communication campaign that increases the awareness of and utilization of all diversity and inclusion tools and assets such as the Diversity and Inclusion Tool kit and the BIO Boardlist.
- Liaison for WDDI and other D&I initiatives which could include research, communications, digital and social media strategy, reporting and analytics, and executive support on all diversity and inclusion matters. Develop metrics for measuring the effectiveness of BIO diversity and inclusion initiatives implemented and prepare quarterly reports to senior management on the value of the initiative.
- Maintain by updating the diversity and inclusion webpage on the BIO website to be relevant and current. Provide insights, ideas and commentary to BIO leadership and assure strong focus on diversity and inclusion is included in all speeches.
- Help develop plans and leads a rapid response team for BIO’s member companies to provide immediate and unified messages, facts and spokespersons to the media when unexpected situations arise that have the potential to positively or negatively impact BIO member companies in the field.
- Work with BIO staff to develop a strategic budget supported by strong and compelling tactical plans. Ensure that diversity principles are built into BIO initiatives and planning documents.
- Coordinate with BIO Human Resources department to ensure that diversity and inclusion is incorporated within BIO and across all departments and provide guidance to ensure the organization follows appropriate legislation and employment law regulations around bias and inclusion.
- In coordination with the BIO Human Resource department, develop and promote training programs to enhance employee understanding of diversity and inclusion issues at BIO.
- Keep current on diversity and inclusion programs and developments by maintaining contact with others in the field (e.g., professional association and educational groups, and professional development efforts).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of work experience. Advanced degree a plus.
- 7+ years of strategy experience in a diversity and inclusion function.
- Must have an extensive record of success in designing and implementing strategic communications and diversity and inclusion campaigns.
- Must have expertise in developing and executing high impact multi-media and multi-outlet communication campaigns that achieve demonstrable results.
- Must have expertise selecting and managing communications agencies and developing and executing marketing campaigns that achieved target results.
- Must be an experienced leader able to influence and lead senior executives without direct line authority.
- Excellent communication skills: interpersonal, written, verbal, presentation, and conflict resolution.
- Track record of working on successful diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Excellent data analytical skills.
- Must be highly driven and results oriented.
- Must be able to work within a team environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to juggle many tasks and to redirect efforts under short notice.