Primary Purpose of the Position:
- Develop and implement messaging and proactive strategic communications that support the policy and advocacy goals of BIO’s Health and Emerging Companies Sections, as well as provide support for BIO’s cost and value communications activities.
- Serve as a BIO spokesperson and help drive positive media coverage of issues and policies that are of importance to the organization.
- Help position BIO as the leading voice for health-related biotechnology issues and relay the value and promise of biotechnology to key audiences, with specific focus on federal policymakers, the general public, and members of the media.
- Design and implement proactive strategic communications programs that support the policy and advocacy goals of BIO’s Health Section and Emerging Companies Section (ECS)
- Support BIO’s cost and value communications activities as directed
- Represent BIO’s health and ECS positions and policies to the media, BIO members, the biotechnology industry at large, patient groups, other associations and other key stakeholders
- Create and distribute collateral material, including press releases, media advisories, infographics, statements, speeches (in conjunction with BIO speechwriting), blog posts, letters-to-the-editor, op-eds, interview prep, and other communications tools as needed
- Author health-related content for all of BIO’s online platforms and communications
- Work closely with BIO’s federal government relations office, state government relations office, alliance development office, legal department and others on matters closely associated with health policy and ECS policy
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with press/media/reporters who cover health and ECS policy matters
- Attend key health section meetings and events and keep the communications department briefed on health policy and ECS issues and positions
- Must possess extensive record of success in designing and implementing strategic communications and media relations plans and campaigns
- Experience and working knowledge of health policy and health issues a plus
- Must possess excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- A solid understanding of the legislative and regulatory policy process is required
- Must be highly driven and result oriented
- Must be able to work within a team environment and take direction from senior team members
- Ability to represent BIO before member companies and key allies as directed
- Bachelor of Arts from accredited academic institution
- 4-6 years of experience in media relations
- Experience working with/in a trade association/organization
- Government relations, government service, political campaign experience a plus—but not required