Primary Purpose of the Position:
To develop, coordinate and execute BIO’s advocacy strategy with respect to key Asian markets.
- Working with Members, BIO management and Board, establish BIO’s policy and advocacy goals in Asia, with focus on China and Japan.
- Develop specific programs and projects to advance these advocacy priorities; successfully lead the execution of such programs.
- Engage the U.S. government, relevant foreign governments, and key opinion leaders to develop and promote BIO’s advocacy goals.
- Work to ensure that U.S. trade agreements and trade policy incorporate key BIO goals in the Asia region, with focus on China and Japan.
- Engage with International Council of Biotech Associations (ICBA) partners within Asia and manage rollout of BIO policy platforms and positions in key Asian markets.
- Use the BIO Convention and other relevant BIO events to advance BIO’s Asian advocacy goals.
- Support BIO events staff in building engagement by relevant Asian countries in BIO events.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of global biotechnology industry, its products, business models and objectives.
- Knowledge of U.S. trade policy process and content.
- Graduate degree education in social science, law or science preferred.
- Five to ten years’ experience related to China and/or Asian biotech or biopharma industry issues, with focus on in trade policy, industry policies and advocacy.
- Experience on Chinese and/or other Asian government relations.
- Fluency in a major Asian language(s), in particular Chinese and/or Japanese preferred.