- Director, Sales & Sponsorship
- In Sales & Sponsorship Department
- Reports to Vice President, Sponsorship & Industry Partnerships
- Full-time, Exempt Position
Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
This primary purpose of this position is to drive revenue via the sale of sponsorships, exhibit space and other opportunities at BIO’s events. This position is responsible for managing key accounts, cultivating, and maintaining relationships with customers by demonstrating solid sales tactics and providing outstanding customer service. Key accounts may include but not limited to BIO Double Helix and Helix Sponsors, domestic pavilions, and other high dollar/value member and sponsor companies. This position will also be responsible for revenue tracking and reporting, and benefit fulfillment of assigned events. This position will mentor junior staff and direct reports in their daily sales, fulfillment, operations, data management, and customer service activity.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who can close deals, has an exceptional and courteous customer service skillset, strong attention to detail, and works effectively in a team environment.
- Achieve sponsorship, exhibit, promotional opportunity, and advertising revenue goals for all BIO events.
- Devise, manage and execute sponsorship acquisition and retention strategies including lead generation, donor solicitation, contracting, implementation of benefits, invoicing and collection of funds.
- Serve as primary interface with senior executives at key financial institutions and major sponsoring companies including Double Helix and Helix organizations.
- Develop strategies for new revenue streams via new product offerings and new sponsor targets. Develop new corporate relationships and cultivate existing ones to achieve sponsorship goals. Special emphasis on securing support from biopharma companies, service providers and financial institutions.
- Develop accurate sales forecasts and benchmarks. Track, project and report revenue figures to Finance and department leadership. Create conference sponsorship budget/goals for respective meetings.
- Provide creative input and become involved in all applicable event-related activities, ensuring a positive experience for all exhibitors and sponsors. Coordinate with various BIO departments, including Events, Marketing, Business Development, Finance, and Legal to develop robust programmatic, marketing, exhibiting and logistical strategies for sponsors of BIO events.
- Supervise and mentor designated junior sponsorship and sales staff. Coach team on successful outreach skills and negotiation tactics for conferences they respectively oversee.
- Develop and manage resources and procedures to help optimize sponsorship tracking and prospecting.
Required Background, EDUCATION, and skills
- College degree or equivalent years of experience
- Advanced degree in business/healthcare a plus
- 8+ years of related work experience
- Possess experience in sponsor/sales-related position
- Work experience in biotech/healthcare industry a plus
- Willingness to travel
- Strong organizational, verbal, written, and project management skills
- Ability to prioritize competing and multiple projects
- Experienced communicator with senior management
- Excellent customer service skills
- Working knowledge of drug development industry and biotech community
- Working knowledge of the biotech, pharmaceutical, and investment markets
- Experience in sales and business development (pharma, device, trade show)
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Advanced Excel skills are a plus
- Capable of managing databases with financial and contact information
- Working knowledge of Salesforce a plus
Candidates should be aware that BIO currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date BIO is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.