Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
The primary purpose of this position is to drive revenue through the sales of sponsorships, exhibit space, promotional opportunities, and advertising across BIO’s portfolio of events and year-round opportunities. This position is responsible for managing key accounts, cultivating customer relationships by demonstrating solid sales tactics, and providing outstanding customer service. Key accounts may include but are not limited to sponsors, domestic and international pavilions, exhibitors, and other high dollar/value member and supporting companies. The incumbent will be responsible for developing and executing non-dues sales strategies, and increasing overall profitability by analyzing opportunities to improve the entire sales cycle from prospecting to onsite logistics to post-event feedback.
This position will work with senior staff to support key partners, collaborate across departments to develop and execute opportunities, analyze sales trends to identify new revenue prospects and maintain the customer relationship database. This position will manage and mentor junior staff and direct reports in their daily sales, fulfillment, data management, payment collections, and customer service activities.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who can close deals, has proven event and tradeshow sales experience, exceptional customer service skills, strong attention to detail, and works effectively in a team environment.
Sales and Account Management
- Achieve sponsorship, exhibit, promotional, advertising, and webinar revenue goals across BIO’s portfolio of events and year-round opportunities. Sponsorship lead for BIO’s investor conferences, year-round digital opportunities, and joint membership & sponsorship initiatives for non-core companies
- Serve as a primary interface with senior executives at key financial institutions and major sponsoring companies. Special emphasis on securing financial support from service providers, ag & environment companies, financial institutions, and non-endemic sponsors (consumer goods)
- Identify and recruit new sponsors and exhibitors, devise execution plans, and negotiate contracts to meet and exceed sponsorship and exhibit revenue targets
- Oversee exhibit sales strategies and tactics and work closely with Event Operations Team and Manager, Exhibits & Syste[GU1] [SL2] ms on exhibit show floor design, booth assignments and associated exhibit benefits to maximize exhibit sales opportunities
- Analyze competing events and visit those appropriate for strategic networking and new customer solicitations
- Develop and maintain annual sales forecast model based on sponsor & exhibit pipeline; event and industry trends, and learnings derived from analysis. Manage and participate in budgeting and financial projections for assigned events and opportunities
Improve and oversee the process for weekly and year-over-year sales reports
Staff Management and Operations
- Supervise and mentor designated sponsorship and sales staff including Manager, Exhibits & Systems. Coach team on successful outreach skills, project management, and customer service.
- Develop and manage resources and procedures to help optimize sponsorship and exhibit sales tracking and prospecting. Ensure compliance with best practices and department SOP’s
- Responsible for contracting, revenue tracking, overseeing invoicing and collections process, and ensuring accurate financials and timely reporting.
- Develop a year-round event sales strategy and timeline, and lead its implementation in coordination with Sales, Marketing, Education, and Operations teams
- Devise, manage and execute sponsorship and exhibit sales strategies including lead generation, client solicitation, relationship management and retention
- Develop strategies for new revenue streams via new product offerings and non-endemic sponsor and exhibit targets
- Stay abreast of BIO initiatives, member dues, and business solutions accounts that directly impact key customers to ensure the deployment of the most effective sales strategies.
- Collaborate with Marketing on strategic marketing & sales development and associated execution of plans for the entire event portfolio and year-round opportunities
- Coordinate with Membership on clear value propositions for non-core company membership and sponsorship initiatives
- Analyze internal data and overall industry trends, understand competitive landscape, and maximize resources to generate new sales opportunities. Report on elements that shift the strategic directions of accounts and budgets.
Required Background, EDUCATION, and skills
- College degree or equivalent years of experience
- 8+ years of related work experience
- Proven exhibit and sponsorship sales experience and the ability to drive the sales process from start to finish
- Association and large convention/tradeshow experience and familiarity with Exhibit Management Software a plus
- Outstanding account management and customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to convey ideas, instruction, and service to a wide variety of customers
- Strong project management skills; ability to prioritize competing and multiple projects
- Ability to build trust and collaborative working relationships; work cross-functionally with different departments and with colleagues at every level
- CRM experience; familiarity with Salesforce is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite; knowledge of spreadsheet and database applications a strong plus
- Ability to quickly learn new software platforms
- Familiarity with the biotechnology industry, the financial industry or investor relations in the health care space
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team, and ability to create and modify processes for team efficiencies
- Willing and able to travel.