Position Title: Director of State Policy and Strategic Communications
Reports to: Managing Director, Strategic Communications
Primary Purpose of the Position: Leads, develops and implements media outreach and strategic communications programs that support the policy goals of BIO’s State Government Affairs and cost and value communications activities. Functions as spokesperson and positions BIO as the leading voice on industry policy priorities by developing and implementing proactive media campaigns around key issues; drafts news releases, talking points, issue briefs and content for web-based properties; and provide strategic communications and support for BIO events and meetings. This position is the primary communications liaison with the Council of State Bioscience Associations and its members.
- Design and implement strategic communications programs that support the policy goals of State Government Affairs and cost and value communications activities.
- Lead coalition building efforts, grassroots outreach, communications and media campaigns; create and distribute communications materials; organize press conferences and public events; responsible for BIO's engagement at external events.
- Develop and maintain relationships with trade, policy, regulatory, business, print and broadcast press.
- Help implement communications efforts on critical issues including: intellectual property protection for biotechnology products, patent reform, and international affairs portfolio.
- Act as spokesperson for BIO and the biotechnology industry in media interviews.
- Build awareness of BIO as the leading U.S. voice for biotechnology issues in the areas of State Government Affairs.
- Anticipate potential news-making events for the media and develop and implement proactive and response plans as necessary.
- Develop collateral materials including news releases, statements, talking points, issue briefs, newsletter articles, letters to the editor, op-ed pieces and other communication tools.
- In coordination with BIO communications staff, draft blogs and other web-based media content for BIO’s online communications platforms.
- Lead communications initiatives with coalitions, allied associations and other key stakeholders, and consulting teams on behalf of the State Government Affairs.
- Manage the development and release of multiple studies of the bioscience industry to raise awareness with media and public officials of the enormous economic impact of our industry.
- Must have extensive record of success in designing and implementing strategic communications and media relations campaigns.
- Experience with policies concerning drug pricing and biopharmaceutical innovation strongly preferred.
- Must demonstrate excellent writing and editing skills.
- Must possess a solid understanding of state, federal, international legislative and regulatory policy processes.
- Must be a driven self-starter who is able to work with a broad range of team members across the entire association.
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferable
- 8+ years of experience in strategic communications and media relations.
- Experience in policy communications required and government relations a plus.