Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
The Director, Strategic Communications will drive BIO’s online media channels including the development and implementation of strategic communications plans to produce and disseminate content for our communications, marketing, events, and advocacy programs.
- Manage strategic communications plans for BIO’s online and social media content to support cross-functional teams, especially owned, earned, and paid media.
- Digitize BIO’s earned media and policy communications on social media channels.
- Mentor digital team to support cross functional teams.
- Work with Senior Manager of Marketing Operations to quantify team deliverables and ROI and to grow metrics.
- Coordinate with BIO’s Marketing, Events, Sponsorship and BBS teams to ensure execution of communications and marketing plans to support cross function objectives.
- Digitize BIO’s Membership and Education programs to amplify the value proposition.
- Support the development and execution of digital communications strategies, including paid and social media.
- Manage relationships with vendors and consultants that support BIO’s comms, digital and marketing programs.
- Assist in the updating BIO’s web presence, including implementation of BIO’s website audit recommendations.
- Contribute to the I am BIO Podcast team as needed.
- Oversee the department’s internship program as needed.
Required Background, EDUCATION, and skills
- Bachelor of Arts or equivalent
- Experience in digital and strategic communications
- A solid understanding of social media and online platforms.
- Knowledge of policy issues and the political landscape preferred.
- Record of success in designing and implementing strategic communications and public affairs campaigns.
- Must demonstrate excellent writing, editing and design skills.
- Must be a driven self-starter who is able to work within a team environment.