Sunday, June 2, 2019
1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
This practical, half-day workshop is designed for mid to senior executives of biotechnology, pharma, medical, digital health, medical device, and diagnostic companies. The goal of this one-of-a-kind, exclusive workshop is to provide a framework to answer top burning questions on Building Value for Your Assets. Whether you’re partnering products or seeking investors to finance your products through development or through commercialization, executives seek the best practices for optimizing a communications strategy. Learn from other companies and come away with tangible deliverables designed to jumpstart your program around an investable story and build value for your assets. The workshop will feature case studies and interactive exercises.
2019 Building Value for Your Assets Faculty:
Donna L. LaVoie, President & CEO, LaVoieHealthScience
Donna leads a team of specialized thinkers in health and science innovation at LaVoieHealthScience (LHS), an agency she founded in 2001. In this role, she lead the firm to receive over 30 awards for its work. Prior to starting LHS, Donna was an in-house practitioner at Genzyme Corporation (Sanofi), Alkermes, Inc., GenRad, Inc. and Novell Inc.. LHS is a nationally-ranked, independent PR firm with offices in Boston and NYC.
Donna’s focus is in helping clients build their companies and brands during transformational times. Her approach centers on bringing a credible voice to key audiences while providing strategic counsel that builds value and stakeholder engagement. She is a trusted advisor on strategic communications issues and serves as an Advisor, Life Science Cares. She speaks frequently as an industry speaker at BIO, and is a contributor to the Forbes Agency Council and PR Council.
Mark Monane, MD, Principal and Chief Medical Officer, Monane Group Clinical Consulting LLC
Mark Monane is Principal and Chief Medical Officer at Monane Group Clinical Consulting LLC since September 2018. His work focuses on medical strategy as well as medical/scientific communications to the physician, payer, patient, and Wall Street communities. Most recently, he served as Chief Medical Officer from 2011-2018 at CardioDx, a cardiovascular molecular diagnostics company. Prior to joining CardioDx, he served 11 years as managing director of equity research for Needham & Company, where he focused on emerging biotechnology companies in the cancer and cardiovascular disease areas. Prior to Needham & Company, Mark served as Senior Director of Medical Policy and Practices at Merck-Medco.
Mark holds an A.B. and an M.B.A. from Columbia University, an M.S. degree in health policy and management from Harvard University, and an M.D. from New York University. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, Fellow of the American Heart Association, American Geriatrics Society Fellow, and Fellow of the American Board of Medical Quality. He serves as Adjunct Associate Professor at the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers University.
Angus McQuilken, Business Development Manager, Life Sciences, McDermott Will & Emery LLP
Angus McQuilken serves as Business Development Manager for the life sciences sectors at McDermott Will & Emery, a mission-focused, global law firm that is a leader in supporting life sciences innovation. From 2008-2017, McQuilken served as Vice President for Communications & Marketing for the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center. McQuilken previously served as Vice President for Public Affairs for Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts, where he managed communications, governmental relations, and grassroots organizing. In 2004 McQuilken served as Deputy Communications Director for the Democratic National Convention Committee. From 1993-2003 McQuilken served as Chief of Staff to State Senator Cheryl Jacques, where he played a key role in the passage of dozens of major legislative initiatives, including the Massachusetts Gun Control Act of 1998. McQuilken is an adjunct lecturer at Lasell College in Newton, Massachusetts, where he teaches “Introduction to Public Relations” and “Effective Speaking”.
McQuilken holds a BA in Political Science from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and is a former member of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees. He was the recipient of the 2008 Distinguished Citizen Award from the Massachusetts Chapter of the American Society for Public Administration.
Sharon Correia, Senior Vice President, Integrated Communications, LaVoieHealthScience
Sharon Correia is an experienced communications profession with more than 20 years of life science marketing and corporate communications management experience at both public and private companies including Navidea Biopharmaceuticals, Alseres, Aderis and Millipore. Throughout her career, Sharon has worked on integrated communications strategies increasing visibility and awareness for companies and products using media, medical, advocacy, and investor relations; and, she has led the communications process for multiple US and European drug approvals, product launches, as well as financings and IPOs. She has therapeutic focused knowledge in development and commercialization of treatments and diagnostics including immuno-oncology, immunotherapy and CNS disease.
Paul Sagan, Assistant Vice President, Investor Relations & Corporate Communications, LaVoieHealthScience
Paul brings to LaVoieHealthScience more than 30 years of experience in investor relations and corporate communications, for both publicly traded companies and emerging private entities. Paul has served as an executive with several leading Wall Street and New England-based consultancies and helped develop the investment communications approach for more than $2.5 billion in public equity and convertible debt offerings. He has also held senior corporate communications positions at Thermo Electron Corporation, Allmerica Financial and Camp Dresser & McKee. He has extensive experience in transaction and disclosure communications, as well as IPO communications strategies. His practice focus has been primarily in the life science, healthcare and medical device fields where he has advised more than 50 firms, from venture-backed startups to multinational corporations.
- 1:00 – 1:45 PM: Building the Strategic Communications Roadmap: Project Blueprint
Instructor: Donna L. LaVoie, President & CEO, LaVoieHealthScience
- This module will provide you with templates to map out your milestones, activities, conference participation and other key initiatives in order to provide you and your company with a roadmap in which to execute a strategic communications program. Examples of different stage company roadmaps will be provided so that participants will have a reference point. Instructor will provide examples of programmatic activities to raise visibility and awareness during “data deserts” or down times between catalysts.
- 1:45 – 2:30 PM: Expanding Your Investor Base: LHS Reach™
Instructors: Paul Sagan, AVP, LaVoieHealthScience, and Dr. Mark Monane, Monane Group Clinical Consulting
- This session will explain how to prioritize your interactions with the investment community. We will review funding rounds, types of investors, differences between investment versus licensing, timelines (how long should it take), what resources you need to start outreach, and techniques for understanding investor sentiment.
- 2:30 – 2:45 PM: Coffee Break and Networking
- 2:45 – 3:30 PM: Engaging with Investors/Partners
Instructors: Paul Sagan, AVP, LaVoieHealthScience and Dr. Mark Monane, Monane Clinical Consulting Group LLC
- In this session, we will consider strategies for attracting investor and partner attention – conferences, investor/partner KOL days, working your network, press releases and PR, and social media expectations. We will explore what research is required prior to engaging with investors/partners and the materials required to engage for optimal success.
- 3:30 – 4:40 PM: Crafting Media Relations and Social Media Message Strategies
Instructors: Angus McQuilken, Business Development Manager, Life Sciences, McDermott Will & Emery LLP and Sharon Correia, SVP, Integrated Communications, LaVoieHealthScience
- This module will review earned and social media strategies for companies seeking to increase their visibility and awareness. We will discuss trade and industry media, how to build constructive relationships with the professional media most influential to your organization’s brand, as well as develop social media strategies including discussions on when and when not to engage.
- 4:40 – 4:45 PM: Review of Key Takeaways
Instructor: Donna L. LaVoie, President & CEO, LaVoieHealthScience
- This summary of the course’s lessons and tangible deliverables will empower your next steps to jumpstart your program around an investable story and build value for your assets.
- 4:45 – 5:00 PM: Coffee Break, Networking, Course Conclusion