Tuesday, October 7, 2014 | 3:30 p.m. - 4:25 p.m. | Twin Peaks North/South
The JOBS Act has contributed to a dramatic acceleration in new biotech IPOs since its passage, with nearly a tripling in the rate of companies going public in the industry. By changing how entrepreneurs can access and communicate with investors earlier in the process, the JOBS Act has fundamentally shifted how CEOs of discovery-driven companies must spend their time dealing with internal versus external priorities. Panelists will discuss how investors’ expectations of biotech CEOs are changing and CEOs will describe new opportunities they have and surprises they encountered in taking their companies public in a post-JOBS Act environment, with implications for future entrepreneurs and policy experts.
- Cartier Esham, PhD, EVP Emerging Companies Section, Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Paul J. Hastings, Chairman and CEO, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals
- John Orwin, President and CEO, Relypsa
- Effie Toshav, Partner, Fenwick & West LLP
- Robert Ward, CEO, Radius Health
Blurred Lines: VCs, CVCs, and IBs Explain Their Re-Thinking of Traditional Private-Only or Public-Only Investment Strategies
Wednesday, October 8, 2014 | 2:00 p.m. - 2:55 p.m. | Twin Peaks North/South
The recent expansion and acceleration of the biotech stock market has seen a new willingness and in some cases eagerness to pursue crossover investing in firms pre- and post-IPO. Venture capitalists have become less dogmatic about funding stage and equity share when positive returns seem nearly guaranteed and investment banks are engaging in discussions with entrepreneurs earlier than ever. Relatedly, corporate venture capital executives’ missions have broadened to consider more diverse forms of collaboration than the path to full acquisition. This panel will discuss how temporary or permanent these shifts appear to be and the implications for biotech firms reaching out to the investment community.
- Michael J. O’Donnell, Partner, Morrison + Foerster LLP
- Graeme Martin, PhD, President and CEO, Takeda Ventures
- James Noble, CEO, Adaptimmune
- Oleg Nodelman, Founder and Managing Director, EcoR1 Capital
- Rajeev Shah, Portfolio Manager, RA Capital
- Jonathan T. Silverstein, JD, Partner and Co-Head of Global Private Equity, OrbiMed