Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
The Executive Assistant will provide high-level administrative support to two executives in the Executive Office by acting as a project manager of people: conducting meeting coordination, preparing reports and presentations, handling information requests, managing business-related event planning and coordination, provide support to the corporate human resources programs; and performing a wide variety of other administrative functions. An ideal candidate is responsive, thoughtful, self-directed, positive, and can communicate effectively and efficiently.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support for select executives.
- Prepare or coordinate the preparation of correspondence, forms, reports, presentation materials, and other written communication as required.
- Manage daily calendars and coordinate meetings, conferences, special events, and appointments.
- Prepare, process, and edit financial or operational information, data, and documents, including materials necessary for meetings, special projects, and reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Use HR tools (ADP, etc.) as necessary to input accurate data and provide data to support to the HR team.
- Manage travel arrangements and schedules for the executive, including arranging meetings, booking accommodations, and submitting expense reports.
- Respond to telephone calls, transmit messages, and ensure appropriate follow-up measures are taken.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the executive’s office and BIO departments for scheduling matters.
- Serve as a primary liaison with external organizations and coordinate requests with the executive.
- Organize meetings on behalf of the executive, including monthly leadership meetings, annual retreats, and all staff meetings. Track attendance, create the agenda for review, and prepare meeting minutes as required.
- Prepare for department meetings, i.e., reserve the conference room and set-up and clean-up as needed.
- Support and serve as a resource for BIO’s diversity board committee members, partners, and other stakeholders within BIO’s membership to advance the WDDI principles, goals, and resources.
- Organize Board of Directors committee meetings by creating accurate agendas, distributing meeting materials, drafting minutes, and retaining documents using BIO systems, e.g., Fonteva, ShareVault, etc.
- Act as a board leadership liaison to the Board Chair and Board Vice Chair to facilitate an efficient and effective process by coordinating information and communication with BIO staff.
- As part of the board leadership liaison role, coordinate staff requests for participation in BIO-related calls, meetings, or other events. Partner with various Board member’s executive assistants as needed.
- Ensure the Board Committee Chair and Committee Vice Chair have the proper materials and information in advance of BIO-related activities and events.
- Assist in preparing materials for Board of Directors meetings and executive meetings with BIO staff.
- Collaborate with other executive assistants across the organization as needed.
- Attend meetings as requested and prepare meeting minutes.
- Manage ad hoc projects as assigned.
Required Background, EDUCATION, and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field preferred.
- 5+ years of administrative experience at the executive level.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Preferred experience with HR tools (ADP, Performance Tools, etc.)
- Excellent customer service and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage deadlines, prioritize workload, with quickly adapt to changing needs.
- Strong attention to detail is essential, particularly as it relates to formatting and editing presentations and producing professional, concise executive agendas and itineraries.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and handle sensitive materials.
- Ability to interface well with all departments and represent executives in a highly professional manner.
- Ability to keep executives informed as necessary, while also conserving time.
- Ability to consistently strive to improve communication and improve or simplify processes.
- Ability to exercise self-direction, good judgment, and diligence in identifying resources, mapping out and executing action plans, gathering and organizing data, and communicating with stakeholders.
- Ability to handle ambiguity and problem solve a plus.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and equipment required.