Position Title: Manager, Membership Data & Industry Research
Department: Membership & Business Strategies
Reports to: Director, Membership
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The primary purpose of the position is to provide biotechnology industry information and support for the Membership team. The individual will monitor companies' businesses, product pipelines, impactful news, and executive management structures, collated from industry publications, websites, and SEC filings, with extensive detail. In addition to collecting this information, this individual will enter it into BIO’s membership database, Fonteva/Salesforce, to maintain current, high-quality data to be used in membership recruitment, retention, and customer service. Significant research, data analysis, data management, and data cleansing is required on a daily basis.
The person in this position will take a leadership role in developing and maintaining reports to forecast and track dues revenue, member trends, industry trends, and individual company information in order to drive strategic decision-making.
This person will work with teams across the organization to develop SOPs for tracking company and individual information including member status, company revenue, location, therapeutic area, and involvement in BIO. In addition, this employee will work with other departments on an as-needed basis to fulfill specific research requests and monitor data integrity.
- Evaluate and categorize member and non-member demographic data using publicly-available resources (such as annual filings/10Ks, Yahoo/Google Finance, D&B Hoovers, company websites, etc.).
- Develop and keep current corporate profiles for BIO member companies and recruits.
- Manage non-member recruitment data and organize/prioritize prospect lists, including database of nationwide recruits, and maintain contact tracking as needed. Assist with development of recruitment and retention lists for BIO and other industry events.
- Identify and thoughtfully suggest recruitment/retention targets based on various factors including data and BIO staff travel and/or retention concerns.
- Provide pertinent details for comprehensive company background memos on key prospects for staff to utilize during recruitment/retention meetings.
- Manage membership dues forecast model and associated membership database.
- Monitor membership renewals and drops and report on trends as needed.
- Identify trends within various member and industry segments.
- In cooperation with BIO’s finance team, track and report dues revenue on a monthly basis.
- Monitor membership development metrics to analyze program effectiveness.
- Work with other BIO departments to implement and integrate association-wide data into an effective tool for membership reporting, retention, and recruitment purposes.
- Monitor various news outlets for noteworthy accomplishments regarding member companies and top recruits.
- Update and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for data management.
- Represent BIO at industry conferences as necessary.
- Assist with general membership inquiries and membership applications as needed.
- Strong analytical skills, with acute attention to detail and logical, critical thinking.
- Experience with large & complex data sets.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and standard proficiency with other Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) tools.
- Proficiency with association management system (AMS) and customer relationship management (CRM) software.
- Knowledge of SQL or Python a plus.
- Ability to conduct detailed and thorough research on business financials and trends.
- Strategic thinker that is ethical, leads by example, and is comfortable working in teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as strong oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry a plus.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
- 5+ years of related experience required
- Experience with Fonteva and/or Salesforce required
- Experience in trade association a plus