Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
The primary purpose of this position is to drive revenue via the sales of sponsorships, exhibit space, promotional opportunities, and advertising across BIO’s portfolio of events and year-round opportunities. This position is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with sponsors & exhibitors, identifying, recruiting, and contracting new leads, and providing exceptional customer service by providing information to prospective companies, and executing follow-up activities. This position will also collaborate with senior staff to support key accounts, work closely across departments to develop and execute on opportunities, analyze sales trends to identify new revenue opportunities, and maintain CRM database.
- Achieve sponsorship, exhibit, promotional, advertising, and webinar revenue goals across BIO’s portfolio of events and year-round opportunities
- Identify and develop new relationships and cultivate existing ones to meet and exceed sales and sponsorship goals
- Manage incoming sponsor and exhibit inquiries by completing outreach and nurturing warm leads; develop pipeline and prioritize opportunities
- Enter prospect and customer information into BIO’s CRM
- Identify trends within various sales & sponsorship data and industry segments and provide reports and statistics as requested.
- Remain up to date on industry trends, competitive products, and emerging technologies to identify new revenue opportunities.
- Collaborate with senior staff to support key accounts
- Work closely with Exhibits Manager on booth assignments and associated benefits
- Identify and thoughtfully suggest recruitment/retention targets based on various factors including data analysis, meetings with sponsors, and/or retention concerns
- Develop and maintain annual sponsorship forecast model and associated components in sponsor & exhibit database. Report on financials and year-over-year trends as requested
- Responsible for sponsorship contracting, overseeing invoicing and collections process, and tracking; ensure accurate financials and reporting
- Track and report sponsorship revenue on a weekly basis and report to BIO’s leadership team
- Contributes to strategic sales plan development and execution working with internal departments
- Develop sales promotional materials and collateral in collaboration with the event marketing team
- Manage advertising and promotional opportunities with internal staff for development and execution
Required Background, EDUCATION, and skills
- College degree or equivalent years of experience
- 3-5 years of related work experience
- Proven sales experience preferably exhibit sales experience and working with associations and conventions.
- Outstanding account management and customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to convey ideas, instruction, and service to a wide variety of customers clearly and pleasantly.
- Strong project management skills; ability to prioritize competing and multiple projects
- Analytical mindset and research focused to efficiently generate data
- Ability to build trust and collaborative working relationships; work cross-functionally with different departments
- CRM experience; familiarity with Salesforces is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite; knowledge of spreadsheet and database applications a strong plus
- Ability to quickly learn new software platforms
- Some knowledge of the biotechnology industry, the financial industry or investor relations in the health care space
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team, and ability to create and modify processes for team efficiencies
- Non-profit or membership organization experience a plus.
- Ability to travel