- Manager, State Government Affairs
- In State Government Affairs, Advocacy Department
- Reports to VP, State Government Affairs
- Full-time, Exempt Position
Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
To assist the Vice President of State Government Affairs with daily functions that include managing BIO State Government Relations Committee (SGRC) meetings and meeting follow-up; tracking legislative information and maintaining SGRC databases; drafting and distributing BIO state legislative updates; overseeing budget for the State Government Affairs department; representing the VP of State Government Affairs in meetings when appropriate; and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Assist VP State Government Affairs in daily tasks including scheduling, expense reports, travel, and budgeting.
- Assist VP State Government Affairs in managing State Government Relations Committee (SGRC) meetings and other working groups run by the State Government Affairs Department.
- Maintain distribution list of SGRC members.
- Track state legislation impacting health sector members.
- Manage the drafting and distribution of SGRC follow-up call notes to BIO members and quarterly state updates to BIO members and BIO Senior staff.
- Work with the VP of State Government Affairs to ensure legislative presentations are updated.
- Assist with BIO Advocacy Department off-site meetings, including BIO’s annual fly-in, the Patient and Health Advocacy Summit, BIO International Convention and others.
- Represent VP State Government Affairs when appropriate.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
Required Background, EDUCATION, and skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to multitask
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Superior interpersonal and oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills; knowledge of spreadsheet and database applications a strong plus
- Bachelor of Arts or other comparable degree
- Three to five years of related work experience
Candidates should be aware that BIO currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date BIO is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.