The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing biotechnology companies, state biotechnology centers, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products.
BIO works towards enriching the industry with networking, partnering and education opportunities. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the global event for biotechnology, along with many other industry-leading investor and partnering events held around the world. Arguably the industry’s leading partnering software, BIO One-on-One Partnering™ facilitates 50,000+ face-to-face meetings each year among investors, biotechs, pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, and non-profits at live events.
The Managing Director of Event Operations is a creative thinker who uses project management techniques and strong event planning acumen to produce high-impact meetings, conferences, and exhibitions.
Responsible for the daily operation and execution of all events in BIO's portfolio, the Managing Director will supervise a team of talented events professionals to bring to life the BIO experience and brand through all events & activations. They will build cross-company relationships, oversee associated budgets, and implement event strategies that align with the organization's key priorities.
Collaborate cross-functionally to ensure buy-in and successful execution of event strategy.
- Lead strategy and planning meetings that are solutions-driven and results-oriented
- Participate in the development of event goals, that align with BIO’s key priorities
- Drive innovation on the team with a willingness to experiment, with the ability to balance “big picture” thinking with tactical execution.
- Develop best practices and processes on the Events team and in collaboration with and consideration of the larger organization.
Supervise and foster the Event Operations and Registration teams supporting BIO's event portfolio.
- Mentor team members and help them navigate the organization's strategic vision as it pertains to events
- Develop and update performance goals, identify and resolve workplace barriers to performance, and inspire teams to work together toward achieving objectives.
- Delegate event responsibilities based on sensibility, event scale, and bandwidth
Oversee the execution of events, from goal setting and ideation through execution and closeout.
- Work cooperatively with the Chief Events & Industry Programs Officer to cultivate legacy partnerships and develop new partnerships with vendors, consultants and relevant industry representatives.
- Work closely with contractors and vendors to ensure smooth execution of events
- Initiate and lead the development of floor plans, design & décor plans, timelines, program structure and overall event framework
- Research unique revenue generating ideas in conjunction with the Sales and Sponsorship teamand ensure proposed inventory can be efficiently executed
- Liaise with Sales & Sponsorship team to optimize revenue opportunities, ensuring they are sourced, produced, and well managed pre-event and onsite
- Oversee the management of post-conference recaps with a cross-functional team. Based on feedback, develop and implement recommendations for future operations all events.
- Research and provide detailed budgets, reforecasts and accruals as scheduled. Perform regular analysis and ensure final expenses are within approved financial plan
- Manage requests for proposals, vendor and venue contract negotiations, and invoice reconciliation for venues, hotels, entertainment, catering, audiovisual, transportation, staffing, security, production, registration, and other event related partners.
- Implement cost savings tactics that do not adversely affect the efficiency and aesthetic of the event
Oversee event registration and housing for all events and ensure the successful delivery of registration and housing sites and seamless collection of data and revenue.
Collaborate with the Marketing team to carryout marketing creative and theme(s) for every event. Participate in the development process to ensure the operations/logistics perspective is well thought through and incorporated in the final product.
Lead production of programmatic sessions, including high-level formats and keynotes
- Supervising and collaborate with contracted production/audiovisual vendors, creating detailed production timelines, scripts, and run-of-show documents, and managing stage sets & designs and ensure aesthetic alignment with the event and organization theme
- Supervise front-of-house (room sets, catering, VIP seating, and access/egress plans) backstage logistics
- Manage speaker and entertainment riders and logistics
Required Background, Skills, and Education
- At least seven (7) years of related management and work experience in event planning at/with organizations, associations, facility event management, or conventions.
- Solid understanding and knowledge of meeting management and event coordination
- Extensive experience managing vendors and facilities, and the contract development and execution process for both
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite, including a keen understanding of spreadsheet and database applications
- Familiarity with CRM systems and capable of managing databases with financial and contact information
- Comprehensive understanding of event budget management, including forecasting, analyses, and reconciliation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a trade association, or similar organization or company that require cross-functional interactions.
- Understanding of project management techniques and software
- Must be available and able to travel.
Candidates should be aware that BIO currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date BIO is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.