BIO Announces Business Roundtables Featured at Thirteenth Annual BIO CEO & Investor Conference
WASHINGTON, D.C. (February 02, 2011) - The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) today announced the Business Roundtable series for the 13th Annual BIO CEO & Investor Conference - the world's largest independent investor conference focused on publicly-traded biotechnology companies. Click here to register.
This conference provides a forum for institutional investors, research analysts and senior industry executives to discuss investment trends, attend company presentations, conduct one-on-one meetings, and learn about investment opportunities within the biotechnology industry.
"Our business roundtable sessions will provide a timely analysis of financial and strategic business issues impacting life science investment decisions and commercialization challenges," said Alan Eisenberg, executive vice president for Emerging Companies and Business Development at BIO. "The veteran investment and industry executives slated to lead our Business Roundtables will provide the latest insights into the financing opportunities uniquely suited to the biopharmaceutical industry."
Mergers & Acquisitions: If You Buy It, They Will Come - Acquiring Platforms to Build Pipelines and Add Value
Monday, February 14th
10:30 - 11:25 am
Now that the ink is dry on mega-mergers and emerging market acquisitions, will there be a pickup in US/EU biotech acquisitions? Platform companies with technologies that can yield myriad compounds are the prized targets for Pharma's innovation scouts. This new trend will be explored by a panel of seasoned bankers and advisors.
- Chris Swindle, Managing Director, Wedbush PacGrow Life Sciences (moderator)
- Demetrios Kydonieus, Esq, Executive Director, Strategic Transactions Group, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Scott F. Smith, Esq, Partner, Covington & Burling, LLP
- Timo Veromaa, M.D., Ph.D. President & Chief Executive Officer, Biotie Therapies Corp.
Managed Care: The Boy Scout's Guide to Reimbursement - Be Prepared
Monday, February 14, 2011
Several medical journals have recently made critical comments regarding specific products and their reimbursement rates. This panel will explore the perspectives of journal editors, reimbursement experts and executives as they describe the balance between innovation, access, and value.
- Ron Cohen, MD, President & Chief Executive Officer, Acorda Therapeutics (moderator)
- Robert S. Epstein, MD, MS, Chief Medical Officer & President, Medco Research Institute, Medco Health Solutions, Inc.
- Adele Gulfo, U.S. President, Primary Care, Pfizer Inc.
- Demetrios Kouzoukas, Of Counsel, Covington & Burling, LLP
- Kent Rogers, VP, Managed Markets, Acorda Therapeutics
Business Development - License to Thrill: Building Corporate Value through Partnerships
Tuesday, February 15th
10:30 - 11:25 am
The wrong business model or partnership decisions can torpedo a company's value. This panel will explore links between corporate partnerships, regulatory events and value as detailed in Campbell Alliance's recently released Corporate Value Study.
Ben Bonifant, Vice President, Business Development Practice, Campbell Alliance
- Al Altomari, President & Chief Executive Officer, Agile Therapeutics, Inc.
- B.J. Borman, PhD, Senior Vice President & Global Head of Business Development, Boehringer Ingleheim
- Gregory B. Brown, MD, Founder & Managing Director, Cowen Healthcare Royalty Partners
- J. Michael French, President & Chief Executive Officer, Marina Biotech, Inc.
Corporate Development: Coming out Ahead-Lessons Learned from Weathering the Storm
Tuesday, February 15th
12:00 - 12:55 pm
Today's market environment requires lean operations. Some companies have narrowed their focus to one disease area or specific compound, while others have completely restructured for an exit. Banking experts and company executives will proffer their insight on how to build a viable company under a challenging market environment.
- N. Anthony (Tony) Coles, M.D., M.P.H.. President & Chief Executive Officer, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Dennis Purcell, Senior Managing Partner, Aisling Capital
- H. Thomas Watkins, President & Chief Executive Officer, Human Genome Sciences, Inc.
- Stephen Sands, Vice Chairman, US Investment Banking, Co-Head of Global Healthcare Group, Lazard (moderator)
Financing: IPO Window-Creaking Open or Wide Open?
Tuesday, February 15th
1:30 - 2:25 pm
The IPO window has re-opened for some, as evidenced by 17 US IPOs and 12 International IPOs in 2010. Optimism has been mixed for private companies and investors looking for an IPO exit. Listen to company executives, investors, and bankers offer insight for 2011.
- Jane H. Hollingsworth, Chief Executive Officer, NuPathe, Inc.
- Rajiv Kaul, Portfolio Manager/Research Analyst, Fidelity Investments
- Steven Nichtberger, MD, President & CEO, Tengion, Inc.
- Matthew Perry, Portfolio Manager, Biotechnology Value Fund, LP
Additional panelists will be confirmed - please check the website for updates.
Media registration is free.
About the 13th Annual BIO CEO & Investor Conference
The BIO CEO & Investor Conference is a must attend event for institutional investors, industry analysts, and senior biotechnology executives focused on shaping the future investment landscape of the biotechnology industry.
BIO is pleased to recognize the leadership provided by the BIO CEO & Investor Conference sponsors, including Lead Bank Sponsor Wedbush PacGrow Life Sciences, Host Bank Sponsor Rodman & Renshaw LLC, and Supporting Bank Sponsors BMO Capital Markets, Deutsche Bank, Lazard and Roth Capital Partners.
BIO represents more than 1,100 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIO produces BIOtech Now, an online portal and monthly newsletter chronicling “innovations transforming our world.” Subscribe to BIOtech Now.
For more information:
- Visit http://www.bio.org
- Follow us on Twitter @IAmBiotech
- Join us on LinkedIn/MyBio
- Become a fan at facebook.com/IAmBiotech