BIO Elects Board Members, Officers for 2000-2001
WASHINGTON (April 3, 2000) The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) today announced as chairman of the board of directors, Mark Skaletsky, president and CEO of GelTex Pharmaceuticals Inc., of Waltham, Mass.
Skaletsky will serve as chairman of BIO's board for two years and succeeds Amgen Inc. Chairman and CEO Gordon Binder. Skaletsky was elected during BIO's annual membership meeting at the BIO 2000 International Meeting & Exhibition, in Boston.
Other officers on the 42-member board are:
- Vice Chairman for Food & Agriculture Carrol Bolen, vice president of Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc., of Des Moines, Ill.;
- Vice Chairman for Health Care David E. Robinson, chairman, president and CEO of Ligand Pharmaceuticals Inc., of San Diego;
- Secretary Vaughn M. Kailian, president and CEO of COR Therapeutics Inc., of South San Francisco; and
- Treasurer Mitchel Sayare, chairman and CEO of ImmunoGen Inc., of Norwood, Mass.
Others elected to the board for 2000-2001 are:
- David W. Anstice, president of human health-the Americas, of Merck & Company Inc., West Point, Penn.
- Frank Baldino Jr., president and CEO of Cephalon, Inc., West Chester, Pa.
- Terrence Barnett, president and CEO of Novartis Corporation, New York, N.Y.
- Ernesto Bertarelli, CEO of Ares-Serono International, Geneva, Switzerland
- Simon G. Best, Managing Director of Geron Bio-Med Ltd., Roslin Midlothian, Scotland
- Gordon M. Binder, chairman and CEO of Amgen, Thousand Oaks, Calif.
- Wolf-Dieter Busse, senior vice president of biotechnology of Bayer Corp., Berkeley, Calif.
- Robert Chess, president and CEO of Inhale Therapeutics Systems, San Carlos, Calif.
- Ralph E. Christoffersen, president and CEO of Ribozyme Pharmaceuticals Inc., Boulder, Colo.
- Geoffrey F. Cox, chairman and CEO of Aronex Pharmaceuticals Inc., The Woodlands, Texas
- Hugh A. D'Andrade, vice chairman and chief administrator officer of Schering-Plough Corp., Madison, N.J.
- Donald L. Drakeman, president and CEO of Medarex, Inc., Princeton, N.J.
- L. Patrick Gage, president of Wyeth-Ayerst Research, Philadelphia.
- Edward V. Fritzky, chairman, CEO and president of Immunex Corporation, Seattle, Wash.
- Wayne T. Hockmeyer, chairman and CEO of MedImmune, Inc., Gaithersburg, Md.
- David P. Holveck, CEO of Centocor Inc., Malvern, Pa.
- Thomas C. Humphrey, vice president of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., Wilmington, Del.
- Vaughn M. Kailian, president and CEO, COR Therapeutics, Inc., South San Francisco, Calif.
- Louis G. Lange, chairman and CEO of CV Therapeutics, Inc., Palo Alto, Calif.
- Edward Lanphier, president and CEO of Sangamo BioSciences, Inc., Richmond, Calif.
- Alan J. Lewis, president and CEO of Signal Pharmaceuticals Inc., San Diego
- Alex McPherson, president and CEO of Biomira Inc., Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Joseph A. Mollica, chairman, president and CEO of Pharmacopeia Inc., Princeton, N.J.
- H. Stewart Parker, president and CEO of Targeted Genetics Corp., Seattle
- Richard F. Pops, CEO of Alkermes Inc., Cambridge, Mass.
- J. Leighton Read, chairman and CEO of Aviron, Mountain View, Calif.
- Hollings C. Renton, president and CEO of Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Richmond, Calif.
- Norbert G. Riedel, President Recombinant, Baxter Healthcare Corp., Glendale, Calif.
- David E. Robinson, chairman, president and CEO of Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc., San Diego, Calif.
- Duane J. Roth, chairman and CEO of Alliance Pharmaceutical Corp., San Diego
- James E. Rurka, president and CEO of Microcide Pharmaceuticals Inc., Mountain View
- John A. Ryals, president and CEO, Paradigm Genetics, Research Triangle Park, N.C.
- Una S. Ryan, president and CEO of AVANT Immunotherapeutics, of Needham, Mass.
- Mitchel Sayare, chairman and CEO, ImmunoGen, Inc., Norwood, Mass.
- Leonard S. Schleifer, president and CEO, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Tarrytown, N.Y.
- Mark Skaletsky, president and CEO, GelTex Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Waltham, Mass.
- Frederick W. Telling, vice president of corporate strategic planning of Pfizer Inc., New York
- Henri A. Termeer, chairman, president and CEO of Genzyme Corp., Cambridge, Mass.
- Hendrik Verfaillie, executive vice president of Monsanto Corp., St. Louis, Mo.
- John P. Walker, chairman of Axys Pharmaceuticals Inc., South San Francisco
- Roy A. Whitfield, CEO of Incyte Pharmaceuticals, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Thomas G. Wiggans, president and CEO of Connetics Corp., Palo Alto, Calif.
The Biotechnology Industry Organization represents more than 900 biotechnology companies, academic institutions and state biotechnology centers in 47 states and 26 nations. BIO members are involved in research and development of health care, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products.