BIO Names New Board Members
CHICAGO (April 12, 2006) – The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) Tuesday held its annual membership meeting in conjunction with BIO 2006, the 14th Annual International Convention at McCormick Place Convention Center. The following members were elected to the 2006-2007 BIO Board of Directors:
· Andrew Baum, SemBioSys Genetics, Inc.
· Joshua Boger, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Catherine Bonuccelli, AstraZeneca, Inc.
· Robert Chess, Nektar Therapeutics, Inc.
· Geoffrey Cox, GTC Biotherapeutics, Inc.
· Elliot Entis, A/F Protein, Inc.
· Dennis Fenton, Amgen, Inc.
· Fereydoun Firouz, Serono, Inc.
· J. Erik Fyrwald, DuPont Agriculture & Nutrition Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.
· Colin A. Goddard, OSI Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Hugh Grant, Monsanto Company
· David F. Hale, CancerVax Corp.
· Richard Hamilton, Ceres, Inc.
· Susan Desmond-Hellmann, Genentech, Inc.
· William D. Johnston, Inhibitex, Inc.
· Rachel King, GlycoMimetics, Inc.
· Louis G. Lange, CV Therapeutics, Inc.
· John Leonard, Abbott Laboratories, Inc.
· Gregory Lucier, Invitrogen Corp.
· John M. Maraganore, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
· Thomas McLain, Nabi Biopharmaceuticals
· Russell M. Medford, AtheroGenics, Inc.
· Arlene M. Morris, Affymax, Inc.
· David M. Mott, MedImmune, Inc.
· James C. Mullen, Biogen Idec, Inc.
· Thomas B. Okarma, Geron Corp.
· H. Stewart Parker, Targeted Genetics Corp.
· Steven M. Paul, Eli Lilly & Co.
· Howard Pien, Chiron Corp.
· Richard F. Pops, Alkermes, Inc.
· David Pyott, Allergan, Inc.
· Hollings C. Renton, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· David E. Robinson, Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Robert R. Ruffolo, Jr., Wyeth Pharmaceuticals
· Una S. Ryan, AVANT Immunotherapeutics, Inc.
· Mitchel Sayare, Immunogen, Inc.
· Joseph C. Scodari, Johnson & Johnson
· Feike Sijbesma, DSM Biologics, Inc.
· Alan Shaw, Codexis, Inc.
· Stephen A. Sherwin, Cell Genesys, Inc.
· W. “Pete” Siggelko, Dow AgroSciences, LLC
· Mark Skaletsky, Trine Pharmaceutials, Inc.
· Martin Soeters, Novo Nordisk
· David Stout, GlaxoSmithKline, Inc.
· Anthony Tebbutt, UCB Pharma, Inc.
· Frederick W. Telling, Pfizer, Inc.
· Henri Termeer, Genzyme Corp.
· David J. Williams, sanofi pasteur
· Peter Young, AlphaVax, Inc.
In addition, the following individuals were named officers for 2006-2007:
· James C. Mullen, Biogen Idec, Inc., Chair
· Joshua Boger, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Vice Chair, Healthcare
· W. “Pete” Siggelko, Dow AgroSciences, LLC, Vice Chair, Food & Agriculture
· Stephen A. Sherwin, Cell Genesys, Inc., Treasurer
· Joseph C. Scodari, Johnson & Johnson, Secretary
BIO represents more than 1,100 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and 31 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products.