BIO Unveils Preliminary Program for the 2012 BIO Convention in China
Washington, D.C. (August 7,012) – The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) announces the 2nd annual BIO Convention in China, a partnering and investor conference that will bring together executives from biotechnology, pharmaceutical companies and investment firms from North America, Europe and Asia to meet and explore business opportunities with China's emerging biotech sector. The event will take place October 24-25, 2012 in Shanghai, China.
“As China positions itself as a major global player in the international biotechnology arena, it has included biotechnology as one of the seven strategic priorities for scientific and technological development in its 12th Five-year Plan,” said Alan Eisenberg, Executive Vice President of Emerging Companies and Business Development at BIO. "Through distinguished speakers, exemplary programming, compelling company presentations and exhibiting and networking opportunities, BIO China allows attendees to explore the vast business opportunities afforded by China’s emerging biotech sector.”
Dr. Michael Rosenblatt, M.D., executive vice president and chief medical officer for Merck, will provide one of two keynote addresses on October 25th. Directly following Dr. Rosenblatt’s keynote, Peng Wang, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer, Simcere will deliver his remarks. Governor Jon Huntsman, former U.S. Ambassador to China and Governor of Utah, will provide the third keynote address. Additional keynote speakers will be announced at a later date.
Panel sessions will highlight the latest issues and trends related to doing business in China. Preliminary program topics include the globalization of Chinese companies; innovation in generics and biosimilars; comparative legal systems in – U.S., Europe and China; R&D trends in China; trends in cancer research and regulatory review in China.
BIO and the BIO China Advisory Committee set the event agenda and program. Advisory Committee members include:
- George Baeder, Partner, Monitor Group Asia
- Xue Baizhong, Chairman & CEO, Nuokang Biopharma
- Helen Chen, Director & Partner, L.E.K. Consulting
- Lian Yong (Leon) Chen, Founder & Managing Partner, Frontline BioVentures
- Li Chen, President & CEO, Hua Medicine, China
- Bill Guo, Ph.D., Chairman & Founder, Venturepharm Group
- May-Kin Ho, Ph.D., Advisory Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- James Li, Vice President & General Manager, Greater China, Amgen China
- Aihua Pan, Ph.D., M.D., Chairman, SinoBioway Group
- Rajesh Parekh, Director, Asia Pharmaceuticals & Medical Products Practice, McKinsey & Company
- Yinxiang Wang, PhD, CEO & Chief Scientific Officer, Zhejiang Beta Pharma
- Jerry Xiao, Vice General Manager, Corporate Technology Center, Fosun Pharma
- Steve Yang, Vice President, Head of R&D, Asia and Emerging Markets, AstraZeneca, China
- Tony Zhang, Vice President, Global External R&D, Asia, Eli Lilly and Company
- Xu Zhang, Deputy President, Shanghai Branch, Chinese Academy of Sciences
BIO brings to China more than 15 years of experience in organizing international conferences for the biotech industry, including the BIO International Convention – the global event for biotechnology. BIO is renowned for its successful business development, partnering and investor meetings in North America, Europe and Asia. Partnering at this conference will be powered by BIO One-on-One Partnering™, an interactive environment to intelligently search, contact and schedule private meetings with potential partners and investors.