South Dakota Governor to Speak at Livestock Biotech Summit
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Thursday, September 09, 2010) - The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) is pleased to announce that South Dakota Governor Mike Rounds will participate in BIO’s Livestock Biotech Summit. The first national industry conference on GE animal technologies will take place in Sioux Falls, S.D. September 28-30, 2010.
Governor Rounds will welcome attendees during the morning introductory speech on Tuesday, September 28. Rounds said he is pleased that South Dakota will host the first-ever industry conference on genetically engineered animals, and he stresses the global importance of biotechnology in agriculture, medicine, and energy. Rounds also recognizes the dedication of South Dakota to growing the biosciences, including the cutting-edge research in the animal biotechnology field taking place within the region.
In addition to Governor Rounds, other noted speakers scheduled to appear include:
- Reg Gomes, Vice President Emeritus of the University of California;
- Bruce Knight, Strategic Conservation Solutions and former Under Secretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs at the U.S. Department of Agriculture;
- Dr. John McGlone, Texas Tech University;
- Jim Greenwood, BIO President and CEO;
- Dr. Larisa Rudenko, U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The Livestock Biotech Summit will provide participants three days of cross-cutting discussions among industry, academic and government leaders on the care and use of animals in research and the many possibilities in the realm of GE animal research, regulation, and funding within the biotechnology industry.
Complete Program Information is now available on the Livestock Biotech Summit website.
South Dakota Bio Pre-Event:
In addition to the programming at the BIO Livestock Biotech Summit, the South Dakota Biotech Association will host a pre-event session on the afternoon of Monday, September 27th in Sioux Falls. More information on this can be found about it here.
Who Should Attend the Livestock Biotech Summit?
- IACUC Members
- Academic & Industrial Scientists
- Genetic Engineering Researchers
- Research Animal Suppliers
- Drugs & Vaccine Developers/Manufacturers
- Serum and Blood Producers
- Biomedical Device Producers
- Animal Disease Model Developers
- Xenotranplantation Specialists
ARPAS (American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists) members will earn 19 CEU’s for attendance at the Livestock Biotech Summit!
Registration and Housing:
Registration is now open and attendees can register online at www.bio.org/livestockbiotechsummit.
Reserve your hotel room early and take advantage of the group discount rate of $89 per night. Availability is limited, so act fast.
All programs at the Livestock Biotech Summit are open to attendance by members of the media.* Complimentary media registration is available to editors and reporters working full time for print, broadcast or web publications with valid press credentials. Valid press credentials include:
- Official photo identification from employing news agency
- A by-lined story from employing news agency dated within the last six months
- A publication masthead listing you as an editorial contributor. Freelance journalists may also apply for complimentary media registration, but must present:
- A signed letter on company letterhead from your assignment editor confirming your assignment to cover the event
- A by-lined story dated within the last six months
*Web-based, college, and freelance reporters are strongly encouraged to register in advance. Please note that marketing executives, sales representatives, public relations executives, analysts, consultants, authors and researchers may not register as media.
BIO Acknowledges the Support Provided by the Livestock Biotech Summit Sponsors
South Dakota Governor's Office of Economic Development
Trans Ova Genetics
South Dakota State University
Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Animal Care - USDA
University of Illinois
Prince Edward Island BioAlliance
South Dakota Biotech Association
Upcoming BIO Events
September 21 - 22, 2010
BIO’s Livestock Biotechnology Summit
September 28-30, 2010,
Sioux Falls, SD
BIO Investor Forum
October 5-6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
BIO Intellectual Property Counsels Committee Fall Conference and Committee Meeting
October 18-20, 2010
Advanced Business Development Course
November 12-14, 2010
BIO-Europe International Partnering Conference
November 15-17, 2010
Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy
December 11-14, 2010
BIO represents more than 1,200 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIO produces BIOtech Now, an online portal and monthly newsletter chronicling “innovations transforming our world.” Subscribe to BIOtech Now.