Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
· End-to-end management of the payroll process including maintaining all appropriate payroll files, reports and documentation in a secure and confidential manner and maintaining a robust control environment.
· Designs, coordinates and assists in the implementation of effective solutions to potential payroll and benefit problems.
· Prepares and delivers schedules, reconciliations and reports to Senior Management.
· Acts as the primary educator to all staff on payroll data entry and the correct reporting of time and paid time off on electronic timesheets, as well as to all supervisors on the approval process.
· Creates new state withholding and UI/SUTA accounts for remote work positions/locations with the appropriate state agencies and ensures wages are reported correctly. Notifies state agencies when locations close/remote work positions end.
· Supervises or a
· Serves as subject matter expert and liaison with staff, supervisors, managers and directors to ensure that all payroll procedures are distributed, clarified and followed correctly and consistently.
· Assists staff with understanding their withholding and reporting on their pay stubs.
· Embraces the use of technology solutions and utilizes payroll software to generate accurate payments and reports.
· Prepares recommendations for improvements to ensure responsiveness to changing environments.
· Liaisons with HR, staff and management to resolve any payroll issues.
· Reviews Human Resources changes in employee electronic files to assure all data entry/changes are accurate prior to processing payroll, including changes in rates, deductions, 401k accounts, garnishments.
· Prepares and presents to management and HR, statistics, figures and reports for payroll information as requested.
· Assures processing of timely payments for garnishments.
· Oversees fixed asset management and reconciliations.
· Performs in a team member capacity in the execution of all general accounting and reporting functions within the Department, including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable, accounting reconciliations, journal entries, budget analysis, month-end closing process and assisting in the preparation of financial reports.
· As needed, provides assistance to Accounting staff with all aspects of Accounts Payable/General Ledger monthly and year end closing to include but not limited to: reconciliation of all General Ledger accounts, and reconciliations.
· Prepares schedules and reports in support of the fiscal year financial audit and 401k audit.
· Other duties as assigned.
Required Background and skills
· BSc/BA in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources, or related field; professional certification (ex. CPP, CPM) is preferred and highly desirable.
· Proven experience (3-5 years) as a payroll manager or similar role
· Current knowledge of payroll procedures and related laws
· Excellent understanding of multi-location payroll and taxes
· Familiarity with payroll software/ HRIS (ADP) and MS Office (especially Excel)
· Strong analytical skills
· Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
· Organizational and leadership skills