Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world’s largest advocacy association representing member companies, state biotechnology groups, academic and research institutions, and related organizations across the United States and in 30+ countries. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial, and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world.
The Senior Manager of Industry Programs is a detail-oriented project and content specialist who thrives on developing insightful and engaging programs from timely topics. Experienced in conference program curation and execution, they will cultivate sessions and workshops of all sizes and scopes for industry-wide events, including conferences, summits, and the world-renowned BIO International Convention. Embracing diversity, this individual will work throughout the organization and across multiple industry disciplines to identify relevant content, recruit KOL’s, and effective platforms to feature our expertise.
This dynamic role requires a strong attention to detail, the ability to juggle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously, and work effectively in a team environment. It is a cross-functional role that requires strong relationship management skills to work well with internal and external stakeholders. It is also critical to have a collaborative, customer-service focused approach along with the ability to work well independently.
Establish and cultivate innovative content offerings for BIO events that will help drive attendance and align with BIO’s key priorities by:
- Developing strategy and execution plans for education programs at BIO International Convention, BIO Impact, and other industry programs as assigned.
- Designing content opportunities that are attractive to member companies, potential members, and companies/organizations on the fringe of biotech and inspire them to sponsor, speak, or otherwise engage with BIO events.
- Overseeing speaker recruitment, preparation, and deployment for and during BIO events
- Tracking and analyzing performance metrics for program elements to provide insights on best practices, logistical needs, speaker appeal, topic interests, etc.
Improving data collection and analyses to identify trends and topics that are future-focused and align with the trajectory of our industry and the challenges of our members.
- Collaborating with colleagues to conduct outreach channels to diverse communities to increase their awareness and involvement in BIO’s events. Audience segments include Business Development executives, investors, patient advocacy organizations, attorneys, etc.
- Coordinating with BIO staff to ensure event program content consistently reflect the current issues and concerns facing the biotechnology industry.
- Reimagining and steering the post-event content offering for attendees to offer access to popular program elements, extend the shelf-life of the event, improve sponsor’s ROI, and increase event revenue.
Program Execution and Production
Deliver inspiring, well executed programs that highlights diversity of people, thoughts, technologies, and platforms by:
- Leading and motivating others to achieve objectives in developing education programs for BIO events, including BIO staff, advisory committee members, and other stakeholders.
- Executing the recruitment, education, preparation, and participation of speakers at BIO’s events.
- Managing the speaker invitation process to ensure letters are well crafted, relevant, and delivered to/from the most appropriate individuals for optimal results.
- Managing relationships with contractors, speaker agencies, and vendors in a purposeful, collaborative, and prosperous environment
- Project-managing the production of high-end content including keynotes, plenary sessions, fire-side chats and other mainstage offerings during BIO’s events and conferences.
- Collaborating with Event Operations and Sponsorship to align logistical elements with speaker requirements, sponsor expectations, and programmatic goals.
- Overseeing white-glove treatment of high-level speakers, their entourage, and agencies for all relevant BIO events.
Content Visibility and Promotion
Increase the quality of the external facing program data, speaker content, and campaigns in collaboration with BIO’s Marketing and Communications Teams and identified subject matter experts by:
- Identifying high impact sessions that garner excitement and help increase engagement and attendance
- Ensuring BIO’s mission and key priorities are at the forefront of decisions while serving in a lead role on applicable industry advisory committees
- Collaborating on marketing pieces, websites, event applications, and other forms of program collateral to certify that program information is comprehensive, accurate, and timely
Manage, train, and motivate junior staff to become core members of the Events & Industry Programs team by:
- Providing guidance on execution plans and best practices
- Leading by example with relationship management
- Providing regular and timely feedback/reviews
Required Background, EDUCATION, and skills:
• College degree or equivalent years of experience
• 5+ years of related work experience
• Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques
• Working knowledge of MS office, Adobe Acrobat, content management systems, and program management software
• Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
• Strong verbal and writing communications skills
• An analytical mindset with great research, budgeting, and problem-solving abilities
• Ability to prioritize competing and multiple projects
• Experienced communicator with senior management
• Excellent customer service skills
• PMP or CMP certification a plus
• Willingness to travel
Candidates should be aware that BIO currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date BIO is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.