BIO Names Chairman, Board Members for 2005-2006
WASHINGTON, D.C. (July 15, 2005) — James C. Mullen, president and CEO of Biogen Idec Inc., has been elected chairman of the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) Board of Directors. Mullen replaces Richard F. Pops, CEO of Alkermes Inc.
“Richard Pops guided BIO through two important years marked by the successful negotiation and passage of historic Medicare reform that includes prescription drug benefits for senior citizens,” said BIO President and CEO Jim Greenwood. “As Richard’s term successfully ends, I look forward to the next two years working with Jim Mullen.
“Jim heads one of the most successful biotechnology companies in the world and will provide vision as BIO moves to the next level as a world-class advocacy organization,” said Greenwood. “In his role as chairman, Jim will provide leadership as we work through issues on Capitol Hill and within the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and Departments of Agriculture and Energy.
“While drug safety concerns are a top priority, we are mindful of other issues that may impede innovation, such as changes to the patent system and the misinterpretation of eligibility requirements related to Small Business Research Innovation grants. In addition, our members support strong policies to foster innovation, such as appropriate reimbursement for our products, increased federal funding for stem cell research and open trade regimes.”
Jim Mullen joined Biogen, Inc. in 1989 and was named CEO in 2000 and Chairman in 2002. He also served as Vice President, Operations (1992-1996), Vice President, International (1996-1999), and President and Chief Operating Officer (1999-2000). Mullen holds a B.S. in chemical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and an M.B.A. from Villanova University.
In addition to Mullen, the following BIO board members have been named officers for 2005-2006:
· Vice Chair, Healthcare: Joshua Boger, Ph.D., Chairman, President and CEO, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Vice Chair, Food and Agriculture: W. Pete Siggelko, Vice President, Plant Genetics & Biotechnology, Dow AgroSciences, LLC
· Secretary: Joseph C. Scodari, Company Group Chairman, Biopharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson
· Treasurer: Stephen A. Sherwin, M.D., Chairman and CEO, Cell Genesys, Inc.
New BIO Board Members
BIO membership also has elected 11 new members to the organization’s Board of Directors:
· Catherine M. Bonuccelli, M.D., Vice President, External Scientific Affairs, AstraZeneca Inc
· Geoffrey F. Cox, Ph.D., Chairman, President and CEO, GTC Biotherapeutics Inc.
· Rachel K. King, CEO, GlycoMimetics Inc.
· John M. Leonard, M.D., Vice President, Global Medical & Scientific Affairs, Abbott Laboratories Inc.
· Gregory T. Lucier, Chairman and CEO, Invitrogen Corporation
· Thomas H. McLain, Chairman, President and CEO, Nabi Biopharmaceuticals
· Thomas B. Okarma, M.D., Ph.D., President, CEO and Director, Geron Corporation
· David E. I. Pyott, Chairman, President and CEO, Allergan Inc.
· Feike Sijbesma, M.B.A., Managing Board of Directors, DSM NV
· Martin Soerters, President, U.S., Novo Nordisk Inc.
· Peter F. Young, President and CEO, AlphaVax Inc.
Continuing Board Members
The other BIO board members are as follows:
· Lee Babiss, Ph.D., Vice President, Preclinical Research & Development, F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Inc.
· Frank Baldino, Jr., Ph.D., Chairman and CEO, Cephalon, Inc.
· Andrew Baum, President and CEO, SemBioSys Genetics, Inc.
· Robert B. Chess, Chairman, Nektar Therapeutics, Inc.
· C. Boyd Clarke, President, CEO and Chairman, Neose Technologies, Inc.
· Susan Desmond-Hellmann, M.D., M.P.H., President, Product Development, Genentech, Inc.
· Elliot Entis, Chairman, President and CEO, A/F Protein, Inc.
· Dennis M. Fenton, Ph.D., Executive Vice President, Amgen, Inc.
· J. Erik Fyrwald, Group Vice President, Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.
· Colin A. Goddard, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, OSI Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Hugh Grant, Chairman, President and CEO, Monsanto Company
· David F. Hale, President and CEO, CancerVax Corporation
· Richard Hamilton, Ph.D., President and CEO, Ceres, Inc.
· Paul Hastings, President and CEO, QLT, Inc.
· William D. Johnston, Ph.D., President and CEO, Inhibitex, Inc.
· Louis G. Lange, M.D., Ph.D., Chairman and CEO, CV Therapeutics, Inc. (Dr. Lange is chairman of BIO’s Emerging Companies Section.)
· Mark J. Levin, M.S., Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· David M. Mott, Vice Chairman, President and CEO, MedImmune, Inc.
· H. Stewart Parker, M.B.A., President and CEO, Targeted Genetics Corporation
· Howard H. Pien, Chairman and CEO, Chiron Corporation
· Richard F. Pops, Chief Executive Officer, Alkermes, Inc.
· Hollings C. Renton, Chairman, President and CEO, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· David E. Robinson, M.B.A., Chairman, President and CEO, Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Robert R. Ruffolo, Jr., Ph.D., President, Research & Development, and Senior Vice President, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Una S. Ryan, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, AVANT Immunotherapeutics, Inc.
· Mitchel Sayare, Ph.D., Chairman, President and CEO, ImmunoGen, Inc.
· Mark Skaletsky, Chairman, President and CEO, Trine Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· David M. Stout, President, Pharmaceutical Operations, GlaxoSmithKline, Inc.
· Frederick W. Telling, Ph.D., Vice President, Corporate Policy & Strategic Management, Pfizer, Inc.
· Henri A. Termeer, Chairman, President and CEO, Genzyme Corporation
· Thomas G. Wiggans, M.B.A., Chief Executive Officer, Connetics Corporation
BIO represents more than 1,100 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in 31 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products.