Vertex’s Boger Elected Chairman of BIO Board
WASHINGTON, D.C. (May 7, 2007) – The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) held its annual membership meeting yesterday afternoon in conjunction with the 15th BIO International Convention and elected members of the 2007-2008 Board of Directors. Dr. Joshua Boger, Chairman, President and CEO of Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc., was elected Chair of the Board, succeeding James C. Mullen, President and CEO of Biogen Idec, Inc.
“I look forward to working with the new Board to advance the biotechnology industry so that we can continue to develop life-saving and life-enhancing therapies; an abundant, healthful and affordable food supply; cleaner industrial processes and sustainable energy from renewable resources,” stated BIO President and CEO Jim Greenwood.
The following were named as officers of the BIO Board of Directors for 2007-2008:
· Chair: Joshua Boger, Ph.D., Chairman, President and CEO, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Vice Chair, Healthcare: Joseph C. Scodari, Worldwide Chairman, Pharmaceuticals Group, Johnson & Johnson
· Vice Chair, Food & Agriculture: Andrew Baum, President and CEO, SemBioSys Genetics, Inc.
· Treasurer: Mark Skaletsky, Chairman, President and CEO, Trine Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Secretary: Andrew Baum, President and CEO, SemBioSys Genetics, Inc.
The following members were elected to the BIO Board of Directors for 2007-2008:
· Andrew Baum, SemBioSys Genetics, Inc.
· Joshua Boger, Ph.D., Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Catherine M. Bonuccelli, M.D., AstraZeneca, Inc.
· Robert B. Chess, Nektar Therapeutics, Inc.
· Geoffrey F. Cox, Ph.D., GTC Biotherapeutics, Inc.
· Susan Desmond-Hellmann, M.D., Genentech, Inc.
· Douglas A. Doerfler, MaxCyte, Inc.
· Deborah Dunsire, M.D., Millennium Pharmaceuticals
· Reiner Emrich, BASF Plant Science Holding, Inc.
· Elliot Entis, Aqua Bounty Technologies
· Fabrice Egros, Ph.D., UCB, Inc.
· Dennis M. Fenton, Ph.D., Amgen, Inc.
· Fereydoun Firouz, EMD Serono, Inc.
· Colin A. Goddard, Ph.D., OSI Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Neal Gutterson, Mendel Biotechnology
· David F. Hale, Micromet, Inc.
· Steven H. Holtzman, Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Jeffrey Kindler, Pfizer, Inc.
· Rachel K. King, GlycoMimetics, Inc.
· Thomas P. Koestler, Ph.D., Schering Plough
· Louis G. Lange, M.D., Ph.D., CV Therapeutics, Inc.
· John M. Leonard, M.D., Abbott Laboratories, Inc.
· Gregory T. Lucier, Invitrogen Corporation
· John M. Maraganore, Ph.D., Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Russell M. Medford, M.D., Ph.D., AtheroGenics, Inc.
· Arlene M. Morris, Affymax, Inc.
· David M. Mott, MedImmune, Inc.
· James C. Mullen, Biogen Idec, Inc.
· Thomas Nagy, Novozymes North America, Inc.
· Thomas B. Okarma, M.D., Ph.D., Geron Corporation
· H. Stewart Parker, Targeted Genetics Corporation
· Robert L. Parkinson, Baxter International, Inc.
· Steven M. Paul, M.D., Eli Lilly & Company
· Richard F. Pops, Alkermes, Inc.
· David E. I. Pyott, Allergan, Inc.
· Hollings C. Renton, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Robert R. Ruffolo Jr, Ph.D., Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Una S. Ryan, Ph.D., AVANT Immunotherapeutics, Inc.
· Mitchel Sayare, Ph.D., ImmunoGen, Inc.
· Mark Schwartz, Ph.D., Bayhill Therapeutics, Inc.
· Joseph C. Scodari, Johnson & Johnson
· Alan Shaw, Codexis, Inc.
· Stephen A. Sherwin, M.D., Cell Genesys, Inc.
· Feike Sijbesma, DSM N.V.
· Mark Skaletsky, Trine Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Martin Soeters, Novo Nordisk
· Henri A. Termeer, Genzyme Corporation
· Hal Van Wart, Metabolex, Inc.
· David J. Williams, sanofi pasteur
BIO represents more than 1,100 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and 31 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the annual BIO International Convention, the global event for biotechnology.
Upcoming BIO Events
· BIO International Convention
May 6-9, 2007
· BIO VentureForum-East 2007
June 18-20, 2007
· BIO Mid-America VentureForum 2007
Sep. 24–26, 2007