BIO’s Livestock Biotech Summit Becomes Animal Biotech Summit to Reflect New Theme and Goals
Washington, D.C. (May 10, 2016) - The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) today officially announced that the 2016 BIO Animal Biotech Summit will be held September 21-23, 2016 in Bethesda, Maryland at the Bethesda Marriott. The Summit recurrently attracts key industry stakeholders including CEOs and executives, industry and academic scientists in biomedical, veterinary, wildlife and agricultural fields, government regulators and policymakers, and investors.
“BIO has chosen ‘One Health,’ as the theme for the 2016 Animal Biotech Summit, underlining the interdependence between human, animal, and environmental health,” said Adrianne Massey, PhD, Managing Director, Science and Regulatory Affairs at BIO. “Programming will explore how biotechnology serves the goals of ‘One Health’ by identifying, solving and preventing problems.”
The budding animal biotechnology industry has potential to solve numerous human, animal, and environmental challenges. The Animal Biotech Summit will provide an opportunity to learn about how and why the “One Health” approach is required for addressing some of the greatest threats to human health.
BIO has established an Animal Biotech Summit Advisory Committee to ensure a strong program that will truly reflect the meaning of this year’s theme. Committee members include:
- Tom Carrato, JD, Member & Principal Consultant, Creative Biotech Solutions, LLC
- Chase Crawford, DVM Director, Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, Association of Public and Land Grant Universities
- Bernadette Dunham, DVM, PhD Visiting Professor at Milken Institute School of Public Health, George Washington University
- Cassie Edgar, JD, Associate General Counsel, IP & Director, R&D Strategy, Genus Plc.
- Kipp Erickson, PhD, Vice President, Technology & Commercialization, Intrexon Corporation
- Barbara Glenn, PhD, Chief Executive Officer, National Association of State Departments of Agriculture (NASDA)
- Dudley Hoskins, JD, Public Policy Counsel, National Association of State Departments of Agriculture (NASDA)
- Dan Meagher, PhD, Chief Executive Officer, Agrivida, Inc.
- Lindsay Parish, PhD, Infectious Disease and Vaccine Advisor, USAID
- Jerry Pommer, Chief Commercial Officer & Vice President, Regulatory Compliance & Quality Assurance, SAB Biotherapeutics
- Alison Van Eenennaam, PhD, Cooperative Extension Specialist Animal Genomics and Biotechnology, University of California
- Mark Walton, PhD, Vice President, Regulatory Affairs, Yorktown Technologies LP
- Brigid Zeller, Manager, Legislative Affairs, Animal Health Institute
All Animal Biotech Summit sessions are open to credentialed media. Complimentary media registration is available to editors and reporters with valid press credentials working full time for print, broadcast or web publications. Registration for reporters will open soon.
BIO is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIOtechNOW is BIO's blog chronicling “innovations transforming our world” and the BIO Newsletter is the organization’s bi-weekly email newsletter. Subscribe to the BIO Newsletter.
Upcoming BIO Events
BIO International Convention
June 6-9, 2016
San Francisco, CA
BIO Animal Biotech Summit
September 21-23, 2016
BIO Investor Forum
October 18-19, 2016
San Francisco, CA
BIO Latin America Conference
October 26-28, 2016
Grand Hyatt São Paulo, Brazil