BIO 2018 to Feature Rob Reiner as Keynote Speaker
Washington, D.C. (May 21, 2018) – The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) announced that actor, director and advocate Rob Reiner will deliver a keynote address at the 2018 BIO International Convention, the world’s premier life sciences event being held in Boston, June 4-7. This year’s Convention is celebrating 25 years of advocacy and innovation in biotechnology and the companies, academic centers and investors that continue to advance cutting-edge science and solutions to the world’s toughest challenges. BIO 2018 is expected to attract more than 16,000 attendees and 1,800 exhibitors from 74 countries.
“Rob is an advocate for those living with substance abuse disorders and addiction,” said Jim Greenwood, President and Chief Executive Officer of BIO. “His poignant story of helping his son overcome his battle with drug addiction will inspire attendees and our industry in its quest to discover next generation, non-addictive pain therapies. I look forward to our discussion.”
Reiner is best known for his role as “Michael Stivic” on the television series “All in the Family” and for directing the films “The Princess Bride,” “When Harry Met Sally” and countless other movie hits. In 2016, he directed the film “Being Charlie,” co-written by his son Nick, to share a semi-autobiographical account of Nick’s experiences with drug addiction and his recovery.
Greenwood will interview Reiner at Wednesday’s Keynote session from 9:00-10:30AM (EST). The session is sponsored by Alkermes and is open to attendees with Convention Access or higher.
Registration is open for this year’s event, which promises to be the most comprehensive biotech convention in the world. In addition to the 19 educational tracks covering all sectors of biotechnology, including genome editing, opioids, digital health and more, BIO 2018 will feature the most influential global leaders in this year’s lineup of Super Sessions. Recent speakers announced include:
- Johnson & Johnson Innovation – Marianne De Backer
- Genentech – Dr. Thomas Zioncheck
- Takeda – Rejeev Venkayya
- Biogen – John Pieracci
- Pfizer – Bob Smith
- FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies – Steve Bagshaw
- Bristol-Myers Squibb – Dr. Thomas J. Lynch, Jr.
- Sanofi Genzyme – Bill Sibold
- Harvard Medical School – Scott D. Solomon
- Flatiron Health – Marta Bralic
- Verily – Dr. Luba Greenwood
- Tufts University School of Medicine – Kenneth Kaitlin
- NOVOVAX – Stanley Erck
- Seqirus – Gordon Naylor
Other notable programing includes:
- BIO One-on-One Partnering™ – Expected to reach 44,000 individual meetings held over the course of four days.
- Engaging exhibits such as the Patient Advocacy Pavilion, Emerging Innovators Zone, Digital Health Zone, and Start-Up Stadium – a “Shark Tank”-like program where startups present to leading subject-matter experts in the industry.
- This year the Convention will be making an official Guinness World Records® attempt for the “Largest Business Partnering Event.” The industry-leading BIO One-on-one Partnering™ will facilitate nearly 1,300 partnering meetings per hour during the event with the grand total expected to approach over 45,000 business-to-business meetings during the Convention.
Complimentary media registration is available to editors and reporters working full time for print, broadcast or web publications with valid press credentials.
About Rob Reiner
Rob Reiner first came to fame as a two-time Emmy Award winning actor on the landmark television series “All In the Family”. He went on to become an acclaimed director of some of the most popular and influential motion pictures. His work ranges from the satire This Is Spinal Tap to intense dramas like Stand By Me, Misery, A Few Good Men, and Ghosts of Mississippi to romantic comedies like When Harry Met Sally, The American President, and The Princess Bride. His more recent films include The Bucket List, Flipped, Being Charlie and LBJ starring Woody Harrelson. This summer sees the release of Shock and Awe which will again star Woody Harrelson along with Alec Baldwin, Tommy Lee Jones and James Marsden.
BIO is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIOtechNOW is BIO's blog chronicling “innovations transforming our world” and the BIO Newsletter is the organization’s bi-weekly email newsletter. Subscribe to the BIO Newsletter.
Upcoming BIO Events
BIO World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology
July 16-19, 2018
BIO Latin America Conference
September 4-5, 2018
Sao Paulo, Brazil
BIO Investor Forum
October 17-18, 2018
BIO Patient and Health Advocacy Summit
October 25-26, 2018