BIO Elects New Board Directors and Section Governing Board Chairs
Boston, MA (June 5, 2018) – The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is pleased to announce the election of 11 new board directors and several new section governing board chairs and vice chairs at the 2018 BIO International Convention.
Katrine Bosley, Chief Executive Officer, Editas Medicine, was elected to serve as the new Chair of the Emerging Companies Section Governing Board. Philip Miller, Ph.D., Vice President, Global Corporate Affairs, Monsanto Company, and Ronald Stotish, Ph.D., President and CEO, AquaBounty Technologies, were elected as the new Chair and Vice Chair, respectively, of the Food and Agriculture Section Governing Board. Jeremy Levin, D.Phil., Chairman & CEO, Ovid Therapeutics, was elected as the new Vice Chair of the Health Section Governing Board.
“We welcome our new board members and section leaders and anticipate that their contributions to both the industry and within BIO will be substantial,” said Jim Greenwood, President & CEO of BIO. “These leaders, representing the breadth of biotechnology’s potential to ‘heal, fuel, and feed the world,’ bring a wealth of expertise and diversity in experience that will help to inspire and guide our efforts going forward.”
Greenwood continued, “BIO is also deeply grateful to our departing board directors and section chairs for their dedicated service. I would like to especially thank our outgoing Food and Agriculture Section Chair, Dr. Eddie Sullivan, and our outgoing Emerging Companies Section Chair, Michael Narachi, for their able and committed leadership these past few years.”
Sullivan and Narachi will continue to serve as directors of the Food and Agriculture Section and Emerging Companies Section Governing Boards, respectively.
BIO’s Board also elected a new slate of Executive Committee members for the 2018-2019 term. They are:
- John Maraganore, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals – Chair
- Ron Cohen, M.D. President & CEO, Acorda Therapeutics – Immediate Past Chair
- Julie Gerberding, M.D., Executive Vice President for Strategic Communications, Global Public Policy & Population Health, Merck – Board Secretary
- Bradford Zakes, Chief Executive Officer, Cerevast Therapeutics – Board Treasurer
- Jeremy Levin, D.Phil., Chairman & CEO, Ovid Therapeutics – Health Section Vice Chair
- Katrine Bosley, Chief Executive Officer, Editas Medicine – Emerging Companies Section Chair
- Alan Shaw, Ph.D., President & CEO, Calysta – Industrial & Environmental Section Chair
- Vincent Sewalt, Ph.D., Senior Director, Product Stewardship & Regulatory, DuPont Industrial Biosciences – Industrial & Environmental Section Vice Chair
- Philip Miller, Ph.D., Vice President, Global Corporate Affairs, Monsanto Company – Food and Agriculture Section Chair
- Ronald Stotish, Ph.D., President & CEO, AquaBounty Technologies – Food and Agriculture Section Vice Chair
- Bill Anderson, CEO & Head of North American Commercial Operations, Genentech – At-Large
- Stuart Arbuckle, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Office, Vertex Pharmaceuticals – At-Large
- Douglas Doerfler, President & CEO, MaxCyte – At-Large
- Paul Hastings, President & CEO, Nkarta Inc. – At-Large
- Rachel King, Chief Executive Officer, GlycoMimetics – At-Large
- Richard Pops, Chairman & CEO, Alkermes – At-Large
- Christi Shaw, Senior Vice President & President of Lilly Bio-Medicines, Eli Lilly and Company – At-Large
- Josh Ofman, M.D., Senior Vice President, Global Value, Access & Policy, Amgen – At-Large
The full BIO Board of Directors is comprised of the elected directors serving on each of BIO’s section governing boards. The newly-elected board members from these sections are:
Emerging Companies Section Governing Board
- Sharon Mates, Ph.D. – Co-Founder, Chairman, CEO and President, Intra-Cellular Therapies, Inc.
- Bob More – Managing Director, Alta Partners
- Julia Owens, Ph.D. – Founder & CEO, Millendo Therapeutics, Inc.
Food and Agriculture Section Governing Board
- Karsten Temme, Ph.D. – Chief Executive Officer, Pivot Bio
- Sarah Hull – Global Head of Business Sustainability for Seeds & Head of Business Sustainability for North America, Syngenta
Health Section Governing Board
- Gregg Alton – Executive Vice President, International Operations and Corporate Affairs, Gilead Sciences
- Terrie Curran – President, Inflammation and Immunology, Celgene Corporation
- Charl Van Zyl – Chief Operating Officer, UCB Pharma
Industrial and Environmental Section Governing Board
- Christophe H. Schilling, Ph.D. – Co-Founder, Chief Executive Officer, President, Chief Scientific Officer and Director, Genomatica, Inc.
- Robert F. Walsh, III – Senior Vice President, Energy & Fine Chemicals Platforms, Intrexon Corporation
- Jill L. Zullo, Ph.D. – Vice President, Bioindustrials North America, Cargill
BIO is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIOtechNOW is BIO's blog chronicling “innovations transforming our world” and the BIO Newsletter is the organization’s bi-weekly email newsletter. Subscribe to the BIO Newsletter.
Upcoming BIO Events
BIO World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology
BIO Latin America Conference
BIO Investor Forum
BIO Patient and Health Advocacy Summit