BIO Elects New Board Directors and Section Governing Board Chairs
The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is pleased to announce the election of its new Executive Committee members for the 2020-2021 term. Additionally, eight new board directors and four new section governing board chairs and vice chairs were elected.
BIO’s Board elections took place Monday, June 8 and Tuesday, June 9, 2020 during BIO Digital, a virtual convention hosted by BIO that ran June 8-12, 2020.
BIO’s Executive Committee members for the 2020-2021 term are:
- Jeremy Levin, Ovid Therapeutics – Board Chair/Health Section Chair
- Julie Gerberding, Merck – Board Secretary
- Brad Zakes, Ceravast Medical – Board Treasurer
- Paul Hastings, Nkarta Therapeutics – Health Section Vice Chair
- Jill Zullo, Cargill – Industrial & Environmental Section Chair
- Jennifer Holmgren, LanzaTech – I&E Section Vice Chair
- Ted Love, Global Blood Therapeutics – Emerging Companies Section Chair
- John Crowley, Amicus Therapeutics – ECS Vice Chair
- Sylvia Wulf, AquaBounty Technologies – Food & Agriculture Section Chair
- Brian Brazeau, Novozymes – F&A Section Vice Chair
- John Maraganore, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals – Immediate Past Chair
- Rachel King, GlycoMimetics – Past Chair
- Stuart Arbuckle, Vertex Pharmaceuticals – At-Large
- Ron Cohen, Acorda Therapeutics – At-Large
- Douglas Doerfler, MaxCyte – At-Large
- Alexander Hardy, Genentech – At-Large
- Richard Pops, Alkermes – At-Large
- Christi Shaw, Kite Pharma – At-Large
- Bill Sibold, Genzyme Corporation, A Sanofi Company – At-Large
- Helen Torley, Halozyme Therapeutics – At-Large
“On behalf of BIO, I want to personally extend my heartfelt welcome to our incoming board directors and section chairs and vice chairs,” said Dr. Michelle McMurry-Heath, President & CEO of BIO.
“These leaders work on the cutting edge of biotechnology innovation each day, and I look forward to getting to know them, to learn from them, and to work with them. Together we will drive BIO’s mission to foster collaboration and advance science.”
The full BIO Board of Directors is comprised of the elected directors serving on each of BIO’s section governing boards.
Sylvia Wulf, AquaBounty Technologies, Inc., and Brian Brazeau, Novozymes, were elected as the new Chair and Vice Chair, respectively, of BIO’s Food & Agriculture Section Governing Board.
Jill Zullo, Cargill, and Jennifer Holmgren, LanzaTech, were elected as the new Chair and Vice Chair, respectively, of BIO’s Industrial & Environmental Section Governing Board.
The newly elected board directors from these sections are:
Emerging Companies Section Governing Board
- Sofie Qiao, Vivace Therapeutics
- Samarth Kulkarni, CRISPR Therapeutics
- Steve Harr, Sana Biotechnology
Food & Agriculture Section Governing Board
- Elena Rice, Genus PLC
Health Section Governing Board
- Ivan Cheung, Eisai US
- Kevin Gorman, Neurocrine Biosciences
- Gail Maderis, Antiva Biosciences, Inc.
Industrial & Environmental Section Governing Board
- Henrik Wareborn, Velocys