Workforce Development, Diversity, & Inclusion at BIO
BIO has adopted a set of principles on Workforce Development, Diversity, and Inclusion (WDDI) for the biotechnology industry and committed itself to being at the forefront of efforts to develop a diverse and talented global workforce. We have established a Board-level WDDI Committee charged with leading this work.
BIO Principles on WDDI for the Biotech Industry
BIO considers diversity to be essential to the success of the biotechnology industry and commits itself to, and encourages the industry to follow, these Principles in workforce development, diversity, and inclusion:
- BIO believes that our members’ products and services should be intended to address the needs of a diverse population.
- BIO believes that diversity in all aspects of business operations will optimize the continued growth and success of the biotechnology industry.
- BIO will champion workforce development, diversity and inclusion (WDDI) as a way to attract, develop and retain the employee talent pool within the globally competitive biotechnology industry (WDDI is defined below).
- BIO will lead by example and be outward-facing in our diversity efforts, and will incorporate diversity and inclusion into all aspects of BIO operations: in communications and membership engagement, at BIO events through programming and education, and in the composition of the Board of Directors and its committees.
- BIO will engage with external partners to broaden the reach and incorporation of diversity throughout the biotechnology ecosystem.
- Definitions. For Purposes of these Principles, the following terms shall have the meanings set forth below:
- Diversity is defined as the wide-range of similarities and differences among persons and perspectives, and follows guidelines established by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Inclusion is defined as the process of creating a business culture and environment that recognizes and effectively leverages the talents, skills and perspectives of diverse employees.
- Workforce development is defined as the process of ensuring all employees have the opportunities to develop the capabilities and skills required to meet the challenging needs in the biotechnology industry.