Position Title: Director, Membership
Reports to: Vice President, Membership
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience and knowledge
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to direct BIO’s effort in achieving its annual membership targets in terms of revenue, number of members, and member satisfaction. To accomplish this goal, this individual shall develop and implement comprehensive membership strategies to retain current members, recruit new members, and grow revenue opportunities for BIO. Internally, the position will serve as a liaison to all BIO departments to ensure member value across the organization, as well as data stewardship and integrity.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Meet or exceed BIO’s annual membership targets by employing a strategic, data-driven approach to member retention and recruitment that aligns with BIO’s goals.
- Develop and implement a membership strategy to retain current members as well as to grow membership through successful new member recruitment initiatives.
- Manage the membership lifecycle from application, onboarding, positive member experience, and renewal process.
- Maintain system for tracking of and regular outreach to current and prospective members, offering suggestions for improvement of workflows as needed.
- Collaborate with other departments internally to enhance service to members and build a comprehensive value proposition that is relevant and compelling across all membership lifecycle stages, sections, and key demographics.
- Implement a system of surveys to determine member needs and assess satisfaction.
- Create unique membership marketing and communications materials that effectively convey the BIO value proposition in a clear and consistent manner.
- Direct annual dues planning process, including dues estimates, revenue projections, and corresponding member outreach.
- Promote data stewardship across BIO, ensuring that member data is clean, accurate, accessible, and facilitates reporting.
- Analyze metrics to predict and report membership trends, prepare monthly membership reports, and develop a system to track membership engagement.
- Articulate BIO’s value to current and perspective members and troubleshoot as needed if/when members question the value of BIO.
- Stay current with biotech industry trends and news, as well as all of BIO’s major initiatives, positions and services.
- Lead, train, and mentor two junior membership staff to ensure optimal performance.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Confident, organized individual with ability to prioritize and manage multiple time-sensitive initiatives in a fast-paced setting.
- Strategic thinker that is ethical, leads by example, and is comfortable working in teams, with a proven capability to lead, coach, and mentor staff members to achieve ambitious goals.
- Proactive self-starter that can develop short- and long-term membership strategy.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, strong written and oral communication skills, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Inclusive personality that understands the importance of creating positive, functional working relationships with colleagues, BIO members, and external constituents.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Proficiency with association management system (AMS) and customer relationship management (CRM) software. Experience with Salesforce and Marketo a plus.
- Knowledge of life sciences/pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry a plus.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of work experience.
- Minimum 8+ years of related experience in association management, especially in areas of membership, sales, and marketing.
- Work experience in life sciences industry a plus.