The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) is the world's largest trade association representing biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers, and related organizations.
As a significant benefit, BIO offers an online Partnering system, which provides an effective tool for companies to arrange B2B meetings with each other at events. BIO One-on-One Partnering allows individuals to communicate and schedule meetings with prospective investors, business development professionals, and corporate executives.
Director will oversee day-to-day partnering operations for BIO’s entire event portfolio, including external events, and manage team staff to ensure proper resource allocation across the portfolio. Director will support the Senior Director, Partnering Products & Services with strategic product development of the partnering system, bridging the gap between customer-derived feedback, internal operational needs and broader initiatives.
- Oversee day-to-day management of internal partnering team and external teams (e.g. software developer) to maximize efficiencies and effectiveness of BIO One-on-One Partnering for customers. Delegate and coordinate operational responsibilities to and among staff as appropriate. Coordinate cross-departmental partnering planning efforts and participate in planning meetings.
- Direct BIO partnering customer service procedures and services to offer greater value to customers and to achieve operational efficiencies.
- Develop regular lists of partnering system updates/upgrades, including new system enhancements and bug fixes. Manage (Inova) contracts and timelines to operationalize partnering improvements.
- Direct BIO QA/QC of partnering system features and work directly with developer to ensure deliverables are complete and timely.
- Oversee the production of data/charts/analyses for key audiences, including sponsors, pavilion organizers and other “power users.”
- Work with internal teams to develop strategic marketing & communications of BIO Partnering. Use partnering system data to drive partnering and registration.
- Identify and execute special projects to improve internal team operations
- Lead and motivate Partnering staff to achieve business objectives, financial goals, and personal development goals.
- Establish staffing roadmap to ensure new employees and/or temps are brought on as needed.
- Oversee temporary staff to support customer service and relationship management functions related to conference attendees and exhibitors. Establish protocols, conduct training, and ensure customer service is delivered in an appropriate fashion.
- Maintain cutting-edge knowledge of technology trends and competing systems to understand features to use/add/refine.
- Develop and manage Partnering team budget – revenue and expenses.
RequirEd Background and skills
- Ability to effectively work in cross-functional project teams with colleagues, member companies, and other stakeholders.
- Outstanding customer service with internal and external audiences.
- Experienced with delivering timely and accurate financial results.
- Superb organizational, verbal and written skills.
- Familiarity with events and conferences involving biopharma partnering.
- Strong analytic capabilities and an understanding of the necessary market research and analyses.
- Computer savvy (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, CRMs, and other databases).
- Undergraduate degree in life sciences, business administration, technology, or a related area.
- Professional work record includes at least 5 years of trade association and/or business development experience. Experience with biopharma, venture capital, pharma industry analysts and/or tech transfer a plus.
- Capacity to travel up to 25% of time (domestic and international).