Position Title: Manager, Healthcare Policy and Research
Reports to: Vice President, Health Policy and Research
Primary Purpose of the Position:
This position will help manage the association’s policy and regulatory efforts related to reimbursement of biopharmaceutical therapies by federal and state programs, new health technology policies, and efforts to demonstrate and promote the value of biotechnology.
- Monitoring, analyzing and summarizing legislation and regulations related to Medicare, Medicaid, coverage/access expansions and health technology.
- Researching emerging issues and conducting analysis to support BIO policy development.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical comments to rules, regulations and other notices promulgated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and other relevant federal agencies.
- Drafting advocacy documents and legislative summaries for use with various internal and external audiences and stakeholders.
- Preparing agendas and materials for various trade association staff and Board-level meetings.
- Responding to BIO member company questions regarding reimbursement and health reform issues.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key regulatory agencies (e.g. CMS, GAO, OIG, MedPAC, HRSA) as well as with the policy/regulatory staff to other trade associations, allies and member companies.
- Accompanying lobbying staff to meetings as required.
- Coordinating with regulatory/policy staff across other trade associations, member companies and other allies as required.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to provide quick, simple analyses and explanations of technical policies in both a written and oral format.
- Experience writing in numerous formats including presentations, advocacy documents and reports.
- Excellent research (i.e. literature and secondary research) and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and prioritize tasks, manage projects and meet deadlines with little supervision.
- Excellent computer, organization and conflict management skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a graduate degree in relevant field (e.g. MPA, MPH, MPP, MBA, JD) strongly preferred. Individuals with applied economics, health care finance or health policy backgrounds highly desirable.
- Must have experience interpreting Medicare, Medicaid and related program regulations, with 2-3 years strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the legislative process, Congress and the CMS regulatory cycles.