The primary purpose of this position is to provide policy, research, operational, and administrative support to the Senior Vice President, Infectious Diseases and Emerging Science Policy and the Director, Infectious Disease Policy for AMR, and the Director, Infectious Disease Policy for Vaccines, as well as the organization as directed.
- Work closely with member companies through the Biodefense Working Group on federal policy issues, as directed in various issue areas, with emphasis on U.S. and international biodefense and pandemic preparedness policy, emerging infectious disease policy, pandemic influenza policy, government funding for medical countermeasure development and for relevant programs administered by the Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Defense.
- Work closely with the Senior Vice President, Infectious Disease & Emerging Science Policy to organize the biannual Biodefense Policy Advisory Committee (BDPAC) meetings; Work with BIO’s Federal Government Relations team to coordinate fly-ins with Congress to discuss BIO’s legislative and funding priorities.
- Prepare agendas, talking points and questions that promote engagement with policy leaders.
- Work closely with members of the Infectious Disease team on policy issues related to antimicrobial resistance and vaccines on projects as assigned.
- Monitor the status of regulations, guidance documents, and legislation, as directed. Where appropriate and as directed, develop summaries of key documents. Work with BIO members, the Senior Vice President, Directors, and BIO Federal Government Relations team to develop comment letters and other documents.
- Attend hearings, meetings, and symposiums and provide summaries as directed.
- Represent BIO at coalition meetings, events, Hill meetings, and agency meetings. Advocate for BIO policy priorities and share BIO member company perspectives.
- Assist the Senior Vice President, Directors, and others as assigned, in research and development of position papers and presentations. As assigned, develop first drafts of documents. Participate in the development of BIO policy positions.
- Serve as Infectious Disease Team liaison for communications, including drafting communications pieces such as op-eds, blog posts, or infographics on infectious disease topics and providing feedback on drafts.
- Assist in coordination and development of panels, presentations, and BIO annual meetings and provide logistical and planning support for BIO policy events.
- Promptly and accurately respond to BIO member company questions regarding relevant policy issues.
- Collaborate with BIO’s Agriculture team on matters related to One Health, including preparing meeting and presentation material, developing key policy priorities, and collaborating across BIO member company Working Groups.
- Support Infectious Disease Team international activities, including those surrounding the Biological and Toxins Weapons Convention (BWC), World Health Organization (WHO) initiatives, Health Emergency Preparedness and Response (HERA), and others as assigned by the Senior Vice President.
- Other duties/projects as assigned by the Chief Science Officer, Senior Vice President of Infectious Diseases and Emerging Science Policy or Directors.
Required Background and skills
- Demonstrated understanding of public health policy issues and various stakeholder perspectives.
- Demonstrated excellence in communications (oral and written) and organization. Proficiency in Microsoft Office software suite – Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively time-manage and function well in a fast-paced team environment.
- College degree or equivalent years of experience; experience in public health and/or health policy. Advanced degree a plus; 3-5 years of work experience.